The Parish Church of St Chad, Saddleworth,
is on the eastern side of Church Lane, immediately north of the
Church Inn. A church has existed here since 1215, established as a
chapel-of-ease for Rochdale's parish church. In time it became a
possession of Whalley Abbey (now in Lancashire), when it was known
as Quick Chapel. The present church is late a Georgian
construction, built to replace the medieval version in 1830-1833.
The tower was rebuilt about 1846-1847.
The Church of St Anne Lydgate, Uppermill,
is on the western side of Stockport Road, about eighty metres north
of the Quickedge Road junction. It was built in 1787-1788 but was
drastically remodelled at various later stages: the chancel in 1888,
the vestry in 1911, and the tower around 1920. Alterations were
carried out by R B Preston and F Thorpe. The structure is of
Watershot hammer-dressed stone with a slate roof, wide nave with
chancel, and south-west tower.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Douglas Law via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'