All Saints Scottish Episcopal Church,
Challoch, stands at the north-west corner of the B7027 and A714
junction. The church was built in 1871-1872 to a design by the
architects, Habbershon & Pate of Bloomsbury, London. It
originally served as the private chapel of Mr Edward James
Stopford-Blair of Penninghame House. On his death in 1885, in his
will, he bequeathed the church and rectory buildings to the diocese
of Glasgow and Galloway. Today it is a Grade A listed building.
The ruins of Monigaff Old Church (or
Minnigaff Church on old OS maps) occupy land on the western side of
the Penkiln Burn, accessed from Cumloden Road about thirty-five
metres north of the Old Minnigaff junction. A church existed on this
site by 1209, although two cross slabs in the churchyard, apparently
headstones, can be dated to the eleventh century. Practically
nothing is known of the building's subsequent history other than its
abandonment in 1836.
Monigaff Parish Church stands to the north
of the old church (see above), separated from it by much of the
churchyard. Beyond the old church is the mound of a former motte and
bailey castle. The church was built in 1836 to a Gothic Revival
design by William Burn. The old church was abandoned when it opened.
Stained glass windows are by Wailes of Newcastle and Ballantine of
Edinburgh, amongst others, and William Stewart's sarcophagus is also
Penninghame Saint John's Church, Newton
Stewart, is on the western side of Church Street, overlooking the
eastwards Victoria Lane junction. Prior to the Reformation it was
St Ninian's church of Penninghame, in the possession of the
archdeacon of Galloway. In 1777 it was taken down and moved from
Penninghame to its present location in Newton Stewart, and in 1838
it was rebuilt into its present cruciform Gothic form by architect
Wigtown Parish Church is on the east side
of Church Lane, at the eastern edge of the town. Prior to the
Reformation it belonged to Whitern Priory and was dedicated to St
Machuit. That early church building was replaced in 1850 by the
present one on a nearby site. The ruins of the old church still
survive. Following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the
United Free Church, Wigtown's church welcomed the congregation of
the former Wigtown West UF church.
Wigtown Roman Catholic Chapel sits on the
southern side of South Main Street. Formally entitled Sacred
Hearth Catholic Chapel, is a simple brick-built Gothic church
that consists of a nave and apse, to an 1879 design by J Garden
Brown. The door sits within a shallow gabled porch, the line echoing
the line of the gable. Since 1998, Wigtown Baptist congregation has
been worshipping in the former Roman Catholic school in Southfield
Lane, directly behind this chapel.
All photos on this page kindly contributed
by Douglas Law via the 'History Files: Churches of the British
Isles' Flickr group. Additional information by Douglas Law.