St Cuthbert's Parish Church of Scotland,
Melrose, is at the northern end of the lane which leads off St
Mary's Road, about twenty metres from the junction with the High
Street, and with the River Tweed at its back. The town of Melrose
gradually replaced Old Melrose, four kilometres down river,
following the Reformation, although the old parish church there
continued in use for some time. Eventually, though, the new town
required a more local parish church.
The first St Cuthbert's building was opened in
1810. It was square in shape, with a central pulpit that was entered
from the tower and large galleries. It was destroyed by fire in
1908. Only the tower, stamped 1810, survived and was incorporated
into the present building which was was dedicated in 1911. To
celebrate the Millennium various ancillary buildings were upgraded
and improved. The church itself was completely redecorated in 1999,
and then rededicated.
Traquair Kirk is on the western side of
the road about sixty metres south of the Kirkhouse Farm bus stop,
and further south of the New Ball Burn crossing. There is reputed to
have been a religious establishment at Traquair since 1116 in an
older building. This was dedicated as St Bride's Church,
whose holy well was in the glebe. The dedication was removed during
the Reformation. The present church building was constructed in
1778, close to those historic foundations.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Douglas Law via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'
Flickr group. Additional information by Douglas Law.