All Saints Church, Dibden, lies at the
northern end of a lane off the north side of Main Road, around four
hundred metres east of the A326 roundabout. It was built in the
thirteenth century, with Tudor windows being added in the fifteenth
century, some of which still survive. The building underwent
restoration in 1884, with the west tower receiving particular
attention. A south aisle was also added to the church, but this was
lost following a devastating fire suffered in 1940.
That fire was the result of an enemy bombing
raid on nearby Marchwood military port at the start of the Second
World War - the first mainland British church to be so honoured.
The church's eight bells came crashing down into the tower base
where they shattered the magnificent thirteenth century font below.
Rebuilding began in 1954-1955, but the south aisle could not be
saved. Some relics of the lost aisle can still be seen in the
restored nave, while the bells were replaced.
The Parish Church of St Katharine, Exbury,
is on the eastern side of Summer Lane, about thirty metres south of
the entrance to the Exbury Estate. Dedicated to St Katharine of
Alexandria, this church succeeded a small medieval stone chapel,
situated at Lower Exbury. That was demolished in 1827, with some of
its stone being incorporated into the present building - part of
William Mitford's plan to create a new model village at Upper Exbury.
It was fully redesigned in 1907.
The Parish Church of St Paul, East Boldre,
is at the south-west corner of the Cripple Gate Lane and Church Lane
junction. It was built to give a local place of worship to
parishioners who had the long walk to Boldre's parish church (see
below). The church was completed and dedicated on 5 December 1839.
It was classed as an early Victorian red brick structure of no great
architectural distinction. A chancel was added in 1891 as it had
already become too small.
The Church of St John the Baptist, Boldre,
is on the northern side of Church Lane, about two hundred metres
north-west of the Thistle Lane junction. 'Boldra' church is referred
to in a charter of about 1100, although it is thought to have
replaced a Saxon building. It gained independence from Christchurch
Priory following the Reformation. Elements of the Norman building
survive, but it was greatly expanded between 1220-1240 and the tower
was added in the 1300s.
Holy Ascension Church, Hyde, stands at the
western end of the lane which connects to Pentons Hill and Hern Lane
at their junction. Between 1845-1850 the Reverend Warren, curate at
Ibsley, promoted the building of this new church within the parish
of Fordingbridge. The foundation stone was laid on 8 June 1854. Hyde
gained its own parish in 1855 and the consecration of the new
church, with its modest nave and small chancel, took place on 26
Photos on this page kindly contributed by Karen
White, Douglas Law, and Sam Weller, all via the 'History Files:
Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group, and one by the
Benefice of Boldre & South Baddesley.