The remains of Horton Chapel lie off Cockering
Road, north-east of the village of Chartham. The chapel was built around
1300 to serve the occupants of Horton Manor, which lay a little way to
the north-west of it. It had the full rights of a parish church apart
from burials and consists of one isle and a chancel, with a thick wall
at the west end, plus a bell cote for two bells. It fell out of use after
the Dissolution, and by 1800 had been used as a barn for many years.
The Chapel of St John the Baptist, Milton,
Thanington Without lies off Milton Manor Road, with an overgrown
footpath entrance over a stile approximately 200 metres north-east of
the Cockering Road junction. The small church was built in the twelfth
century, within the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the diocese and
deanery of Canterbury. It was originally dedicated to St Nicholas but
was later rededicated to St John the Baptist, and it served Milton Manor
The chapel consists of a small aisle and chancel,
and it served the nearby manor during the Middle Ages. It has a small
stone pinnacle at the west end with a single bell. It was restored in
1829 by the local patron, who installed a new font. The manor house was
demolished in 1959. Today, although it is redundant, the chapel is
well-preserved and is used for occasional services in the summer. It
can be visited, despite the best efforts of the land's current
occupants to dissuade.
St Nicholas Thanington Without is on the
northern side of the Thanington Road, opposite Strangers Lane.
Thanington Without is named for its location outside the walls of
Canterbury, close to Wincheap. Half hidden behind full-grown yew
trees, the church's chancel was erected by the Normans. The rest was
added in the thirteenth century, built in flint with stone dressings
and a tiled roof. It contains a chancel, nave, south transept and a
tower in the place of a north transept.
The church was restored in 1846 by William
Butterfield, which is when the pulpit and most of the new, fairly
plain stonework was added. The square tower was rebuilt in 1856,
while the early fourteenth century piscina survives. The churchyard
contains some eighteenth century headstones with skull or cherub
motifs, table tombs and the very distinctive oval bodystones that
are very common in some of East Kent's older churchyards.
The Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in
Wincheap lies at the north-western corner of Sullivan Close. This short
street backs onto the A2, at the very south-western edge of Wincheap,
in a newly developed area of housing. Like the houses around it, the
hall is new, although the style in which it was built is highly similar
to many other Jehovah's Witnesses halls around the country, in red brick
with a central strip, and an entranceway that is sometimes completely hidden.