History Files
 

We need your support

support

 

 

Churches of the British Isles

Gallery: Churches of Kent

by Peter Kessler & Jo Lewis, 4 July 2026

Dover Part 14: Churches of Staple, Goodnestone, & Aylesham

Staple Baptist Chapel, Staple, Kent

Staple Baptist Chapel is on the eastern side of Chapel Lane, immediately north of Barnsole Road and well to the east of Staple itself (this photo includes it on the left-hand edge, partially masked by trees). According to the Kent Historic Environment Record, the chapel was built around 1850, although the exact date remains unspecified. Closure seems to have occurred in or after 1970, although again a specific date is unavailable. Today the building forms a private residence.

Church of the Holy Cross, Goodnestone, Kent

The Church of the Holy Cross, Goodnestone, is on raised ground on the western side of The Street, immediately north of Goodnestone Park Gardens. The church dates to the twelfth century, with additions and alterations in the nineteenth. The building was extended in the thirteenth century, while the tower was rebuilt in the fifteenth century. The nave, south porch, and chancel were designed by Rickman and Hussey between 1839-1841 but in the thirteenth century style.

Church of the Holy Cross, Goodnestone, Kent

The flint building was also restored in flint, but this was more heavily knapped and coursed, with a plain tiled roof added. The building consists of a nave and chancel, with a north aisle and chapel, west tower, and north and south porches. The three-stage west tower with plinth contains triple offset buttresses and battlements, with a south-eastern octagonal stair turret. A sundial is mounted on the stair turret and a clock face is mounted on the eastern tower face.

Church of the Holy Cross, Goodnestone, Kent

The oldest part of the surviving building is the fourteenth century north aisle and the fifteenth century tower. The former was enlarged in 1839 by a rebuilt nave and chancel. The architects were the aforementioned Rickman and Hussey, pioneers of the nineteenth century Gothic Revival. The nineteenth century north porch with its four-centred arched doorway probably is not part of the 1839 work. The church abuts Sir Brook Bridges' Goodnestone Park of the early 1700s.

Goodnestone Old Chapel, Goodnestone, Kent

The location is unknown when it comes to finding Goodnestone Old Chapel. The shot used here is of the northern end of this hamlet. Mentioned by Arthur Hussey in his Chapels of Kent, it may be the first reference to a St Clements Knowlton (see links) which originally was a chapel for Knowlton Court, of fourteenth or fifteenth century origin as a chapel-of-ease to Wingham. The chapel which Hussey described was part of Overland Manor, given to Wingham in 1282.

Church of St Peter, Aylesham, Kent

St Peter's Church, Aylesham, is at the south-west corner of the junction between Dorman Avenue N and Milner Crescent. The church and its combined hall is a spacious 1927 barn-styled building. It was erected to serve this equally new, planned mining town of 1920 which served the local Kent collieries. The church part is surprisingly large, with a prominent timber roof and long chancel. The font was brought in from Kingston when they re-erected their medieval font.

Four photos on this page by P L Kessler, one kindly contributed by Ben Found via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group, and one copyright © Nick Smith via Geograph, reused under a cc licence.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.
 

 

Alibris: Books, Music, & Movies
Alibris: Books, Music, & Movies
Please help the History Files