Abbey Place Primitive Methodist Chapel
lies on the northern side of the short Abbey Place, at the northern
end of Faversham. This was the first of two Primitive Methodist
chapels built in Faversham, opening about 1855, forty-five years
after the founding of the movement. The building was replaced by
the Stone Street chapel in 1898 (see links), but it survives today,
albeit somewhat butchered. By 2005 (shown here) it seemed to be
serving as some kind of warehouse.
St John the Evangelist, parish church for
The Brents & Davington, is on Church Road, at the north-eastern edge
of Faversham. It is reached via the swing bridge over Faversham Creek.
The building was consecrated in 1881 for what was then a newly built-up
area, funded by the widow of William Hall, the local gunpowder and
explosives magnate. It was known familiarly as 'the Brickies' church,
thanks to the large number of parishioners who worked on the nearby
The church was declared redundant in 2000. The last
service held was Evening Prayer on Sunday 26 November 2000, which was
led by parish priest-in-charge the Reverend Ian Black. Then it was sold
by the Diocese of Canterbury to someone who declared they would convert
it into a community hall and function room, but who instead sold it on.
In 2009 an application was submitted to turn it into a house with parking
facilities, but by mid-2009 it remained abandoned.
The Church of St Mary Magdalene, Davington,
sits inside the Davington Hill and Priory Road corner. Davington
Priory was founded here by Fulke de Newnham in 1153 as a Benedictine
house of twenty-six nuns. A chapel was built at its north edge and the
priory's existence served to curtail its architecture (the priory
cloister's north alley prevented the chapel from gaining a south
aisle). The priory expired just prior to the Reformation and most
buildings were later torn down.
The priory chapel alone survived and after the
Dissolution its nave became the present parish church while the
eastern arm was demolished. In 1845 Thomas Willement bought the
priory and completely restored the church. Davington's medieval
parish Church of St Lawrence is very poorly recorded. Between
at least 1494-1532 it was separate from the priory but perhaps fell
out of use after the Dissolution. Its parish and its name were later
united with St Mary's.
Oare Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stood at
the north-east corner of The Street and Russell Place in Oare, a
small village to the north-west of Faversham. Its Methodist chapel
was founded by 1877, which is when trustees' minutes begin (as
recorded by the National Archives). It is also shown on the OS
25-inch map of 1892-1914. The records end in 1964, after which the
chapel was demolished and replaced by the short row of terraced
houses behind the red van here.