Providence Chapel (Bible Christians),
Rodmersham Green, stands at the north-eastern tip of the green that
gives the village its name, accessed from Green Lane. Built in 1848,
it is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914, but it seems to have
fallen out of use fairly quickly in the twentieth century, not being
marked as a place of worship on the OS 1:25,000 map of 1937-1961. A
slightly older map does show it in use in the 1920s though. It is
now a private residence.
The Church of St Nicholas, Rodmersham,
sits on the west side of Church Street at the southern end of the
hamlet. Built from the thirteenth century onwards, Henry II made a
gift of it to the Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem in
the late 1100s. It was subsequently enlarged, reflecting the wealth
and prestige of the order. The fifteenth century tower was described
by a noted writer as 'one of the most beautiful in Kent'. The
interior was sensitively restored in the 1800s.
St Peter & St Paul's Church, Lynsted,
is on the western side of The Street, less than twenty metres south
of the St Paul's Court junction. The hamlet appears not to have had
a church during the compilation of Domesday Book in 1086. One is
mentioned in 1229, however, at which point it was classed as a chapel
of Teynham. The earliest part of the church is the wall under the
tower, which may be as early as 1180. The church bells were cast
between 1597 and 1639.
The north-west tower of four stages was built
in the 1200s, but was built detached from the nave until the
latter was extended to meet it. Much of the main building dates
to the fourteenth century, and the west window is a good example
of that period. The south aisle and pillars are fifteenth century.
As with many churches post-Reformation, some decline set into the
fabric of the building, but restoration work in the nineteenth
century put right all of the problems.
The Church of St Mary, Norton, is located
a hundred metres or so east of Norton Road and to the north of
Provender Lane, overlooking fields on the edge of the hamlet. The
Domesday Book records three churches in the village of Norton,
although two have since been lost without trace and were possibly
little more than minor chapels. St Mary's Church probably dates to
about 1080, and is also known as 'The Church in the Orchards' (seen
in this photo in 1998).
The church, built close to Norton Court, consists
of nave, narrow chancel, west tower, and modern porch (1872). The
nave and chancel were erected at the same time, probably soon after
the Norman invasion. The chancel seems unusually long for an
eleventh century church, and may have been lengthened in the
thirteenth century. The main entrance was on the north side,
probably because the manor house was in that direction, as were
most of the villagers.