Anath Gospel Hall occupies a plot on the
northern side of Station Approach Road, approximately three hundred
metres (yards) east of Ramsgate Station and close to the junction
with Margate Road. The hall is home to an Open Brethren, evangelical
church which opened between 1936 and 1955, but as with so many
nonconformist places of worship in Thanet, no more information than
that is available. The building's style is 1950s, suggesting a date
St Luke's Church occupies the south-eastern corner
of St Luke's Avenue and Hollicondane Road in northern Ramsgate. Construction
of the church was officially started when the foundation stone was laid by
the archbishop of Canterbury on 24 November 1875. The cost of building was
£8000, perhaps too much, as the original drawings show a tower and other
apparently unfinished areas such as the side door porch. St Mark's Mission
Church was soon opened in Northwood.
By September 1890, finances to finish the building work
on the church and other projects were falling behind. The tower and porches
were put on hold, and money was diverted to other more important projects.
About 500 of the 1,100 pews had to be paid for in the 1890s, with the poorer
inhabitants of Ramsgate being advised to use the free pews (presumably at the
back of the church). St Luke's congregation grew to 303 by 1896, but has
certainly fallen since then.
Newcastle Hill Wesleyan Mission Hall stood
on the northern side of Newcastle Hill, one third of the way up the hill.
This is to the east of King Street, and two-thirds of the way towards
the beach from St Luke's. Information on the hall is scarce, but it
certainly existed in 1936, and the National Archives contains records
from the hall between 1908-1955. The hall was lost to redevelopment and
by 2008, some of the redevelopments were being redeveloped.
St Paul's Church was on the north-west
side of the Sussex Street and King Street corner. Opened in 1874 to
cater for working class locals who failed to attend St George's, it
gained its owned parish in 1881. In 1887 a brand new, much bigger
church replaced the original mission, thriving until the 1939 wartime
closure of coastal churches. Sussex Street was flattened in 1940, but
the church survived. Then Holy Trinity gained its parishioners and it
was demolished in 1959.
The Parish Church of Holy Trinity Ramsgate
fills the land on the northern side of Victoria Road, between Bellevue
Road and Avenue Road. This flint-clad church, on the east cliff, close
to the Royal Harbour, was consecrated in 1845 and maintained a Catholic
tradition, firmly anchored in the Anglican Church. It was very much the
home of the upper class with its full choral services, which were advertised
in the local press as being of the cathedral type.
The churches in Thanet's coastal towns were all
closed in 1939, at the outbreak of the war, and when a single Junkers 88
bomber dropped two bombs during the air raid of 12 November 1940, nearby
Sussex Street was destroyed. Although St Paul's Church there survived,
Holy Trinity gained access to more than half its parishioners, leaving it
without a reason to exist. It never re-opened after the war. Holy Trinity
has no tower, but it does contain a bell cote for a single bell.
St Ethelbert & St Gertrude's Catholic Church
is on the western side of Hereson Road between Lilian Road and Dane Park
Road. In 1897 the Catholic Church in England celebrated the 1300th anniversary
of St Augustine's arrival at Ebbsfleet by starting off a new church in the
expanding eastern part of Ramsgate. This was completed in 1902 with
space for 300, although without a tower. It was unconsecrated
until the Feast of Saint Ethelbert, on 25 February 2010.
Montefiore Synagogue, or the Spanish &
Portuguese Synagogue, sits on the eastern side of Hereson Road, along
a footpath opposite St George's Road. The Grade II listed buildings were
erected in 1833 by Sir Moses Montefiore, responsible for founding the Ramsgate
community (Sir Moses' tomb is shown here, the synagogue is on its right).
Disused by 2010, a new synagogue was in use on the south-west corner of
Honeysuckle Road and Dumpton Park Drive.
Ramsgate Jewish Cemetery occupies the corner of
land on the western side of Dumpton Park Road and south of College Road.
Following what was effectively the single-handed creation of the Ramsgate
Jewish community by Sir Moses Montefiore, the Jewish population climbed
from sixty in 1898 to a peak of 130 in 1935. It declined to the mid-sixties
after the war, but the congregations of both of Ramsgate's synagogues still
use this burial ground.