St Augustine's Catholic Church is laid back
from the southern side of Crescent Road, next to the private entrance
to Calverly Park. The original church building was erected on the corner
of Grosvenor Road and Hanover Road, a little to the west, in 1837-1838,
and a campanile was added for a clock and bells in 1889. It was a handsome
stone building, but it was demolished in 1968 and the present low church
building put up on this site. A Tesco Metro now occupies the old site.
St Peter's Church occupies a cluttered plot on
the southern side of Bayhall Road, with an opening onto St Peter's Street.
The church was built on Windmill Fields in 1874-1875. In 1876 it gained a
parish from Holy Trinity and it was enlarged in 1886. The design was by
Cronk & Cronk. The Gothic church appears to have undergone much alteration
in more recent years which has created more space for meetings and clubs but
which has harmed the appearance of the building.
Salvation Army Bayhall Road (Royal Tunbridge
Wells Corp) lies behind a stone wall at the north-east corner of Bayhall
Road and Pembury Road. The citadel was opened in 1970, replacing the former
citadel in Varney Street (below), which was later demolished. The
Army has come a long way since that early citadel was opened in 1886, when
members were often attacked on their way to outdoor services with sticks
and stones used by townsfolk who wanted rid of them.
Mount Pleasant Congregational Church sits
at the north-west corner of Mount Pleasant Road and York Road. An
Independent congregation was revived in Tunbridge Wells in 1830, and
for several years it occupied the old Mount Sion Presbyterian Chapel,
which had closed in 1814. The building was enlarged and repaired, but
was soon too small, so Mount Pleasant replaced it, built between 1845-1848.
It also closed, probably in 1972 at the union with Presbyterians.
Salvation Army Varney Street citadel was
opened in 1886, just nine years after the founding of the Salvation
Army. The exact location is unknown. When the founder, 'General'
William Booth, visited the town in 1909 he was given a civic reception
and accorded a friendly welcome. The citadel closed in 1970 when the
Bayhall Road site replaced it (see above). The entire street was
subsequently demolished and the area rebuilt as the Royal Victoria
Palace shopping centre.
Hanover Chapel stands on the western side of Hanover
Road, approximately thirty metres (yards) south of the junction with Grosvenor
Road. The chapel was built in 1834 as a Strict & Particular Baptist Chapel.
The building now seems to be the meeting place for Tunbridge Wells Christian
Fellowship, although this group also have a modern premises on the other
side of the same street which was thoroughly renovated and modernised in 2007.
Tunbridge Wells United Reformed Church sits
on the inside corner between Grosvenor Road and Mount Ephraim, with its
main entrance on the latter street. The red brick building started life
in 1901 as St John's Free Church (Baptist), designed by local
architect Herbert Caley. In 1939 it became St Andrew's Presbyterian
Church, and a URC in 1972. Elsewhere in the town, Bethel
Congregational Chapel, Tutty's Village, was built in 1839 and closed
Friends Meeting House (Quakers) stands on the
northern side of Grosvenor Park, immediately behind the building that
faces onto Gosvenor Road (on the left here). In 2010, the Friends were
looking at demolishing the current building which dates from the late
nineteenth or early twentieth century. In partnership with a non-profit
housing association, the suggestion was that a new building could be put
up which was part single bed flats and part meeting house.
Culverden Evangelical Church is at the north-east
corner of St John's Road and Culverden Square, heading northwards out of the
centre of Tunbridge Wells and on a busy trunk road. The chapel building was
constructed in 1923 and is a small but attractive brick building painted in
a warm cream colour. The church has a membership of about fifty people and
operates as a Christian Fellowship organisation, part of the Evangelical
Salem Chapel stood on the eastern side of St
John's Road, opposite Culverden Park. It was built in 1866 by Thomas
Edwards, who lived in the adjoining cottage. When James Mountain resigned
from Emmanuel Church in 1897, he brought his congregation here until a new
church could be built, changing the name to St John's Road Free Church.
It was used by Brethren in 1903-1934 and then sold. In 1935 the bus company
purchased it and later built a garage on the site.