The History Files is able to keep on doing what it does
thanks to some wonderful people who have helped to cover increasing web hosting
costs. This year, as the History Files is a non-profit site, it still needs your
help. Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal
so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully
secure site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running
costs in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2020: £0£250
Gallery: Churches of Cornwall
by Jo Lewis, 18 December 2018
Carrick (South-East) Part 15: Churches of East Ladock to
The general location of Trethurffe Old Chapel
was about four hundred metres to the east of Ladock village centre,
on the road towards Grampound Road. Trethurffe Manor, also largely
lost, is marked on maps in this location as it was a large estate
in the parish of Ladock but the chapel is not. Charles Henderson
lists it in his work of 1925, associating it with the Tretherffe
(or Trethurffe) family. It is very likely this was a domestic chapel
within the manor's grounds.
Back into Ladock, northwards along the B3275,
and then east down a side lane is where the lost Fentonladock
Old Chapel once stood. St Ladoca, a Cornish saint, is reported
to have lived here, having come to Cornwall from Ireland with St
Breage. The chapel and Holy Well of St Ladoca were both located
midway between the B3275 and the farm buildings of Fentonladock,
and are clearly marked on OS maps (the older ones, at least).
New Mills Bible Christian Chapel can be
found by continuing northwards from Ladock along the B3275. The
chapel lies at the northern end of this, inside the north-western
arm of a minor t-junction there. The chapel is clearly marked on
old maps, and can be dated in its construction to some time before
1914 - and quite probably earlier by at least a decade. Since
closure, the building has been converted into a five bedroom house.
Grampound Road Methodist Chapel and its
associated Sunday School (built 1928) are on the left-hand side of
Fore Street as it turns to cross the railway at South Street, heading
southwards out of Grampound Road. Built in 1866 as a Wesleyan chapel
the building was registered for baptisms from 1867. It became
Grampound Road Methodist Church in 1932. From 1984, the congregation
combined with that of the village's Anglican chapel to form a combined
Grampound Road Mission Church is on the
northern side of South Street immediately to the east of the
railway line. Unfortunately the photo is of the less attractive
rear section of the building, as seen from Station Road. Richard
Wise, rector of Ladock in 1846-1885, purchased land here and built
a school and mission church in 1878 - a chapel-of-ease for Ladock.
The chapel was enlarged in 1888 and closed in 2013 with the Methodist
chapel being used instead (above).
Hallnoweth Chapel seems to have stood
somewhere near Grampound, and perhaps to the south of it, towards
Tregellas. Records show eight old chapels in the old parish of
Probus including Hallnoweth. The History of Cornwall records
this as 'long since destroyed' with a cross only remaining. A spot
near Tregellas Old Chapel is marked on modern OS maps as Halonoeth
with a stone or marker there. From this view, Hallnoweth chapel
would be over to the left.
All photos on this page by Jo Lewis. The tour
now progresses into Restormel (South).