Polkerris Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is
about twenty-five metres due north-east of the Rashleigh Inn (turn
right off the footpath immediately behind the pub), in Polkerris
which lies on the western side of the Fowey peninsula. The chapel
existed by 1880, as shown on Victorian OS maps, and was built in the
early-to-middle of the century. It survived in use during both world
wars but probably closed in the 1960s or 1970s. Planning conversion
was agreed in 1980.
Tregamnion Church sits back from the east
side of the road to Menabilly, about seven hundred metres south of
the turning for Polkerris. A chapel-of-ease to St Andrew's Church,
Tywardreath (see links), its foundation stone was laid in April 1813
by Rachel, wife of William Rashleigh of Tregaminion Barton,
Menabilly. It was another two years before the chapel was completed,
and was consecrated in 1816. Some parts may have come from an earlier
church, here or elsewhere.
Fowey Mortuary Chapel on the northern edge
of the town sits at the south-west corner of the junction between
Passage Lane and Rawlings Lane, about three hundred metres west of
Caffa Mill car park. This small brick building formerly served as
the town mortuary, at least from 1905, but it was closed in the
1980s after a replacement was built at Fowey Hospital. The hospital
itself was closed in 2016. The old chapel has a waymark on its
frontage, near the right-hand corner.
St Monica's Roman Catholic Church is
on the south side of Station Road, directly opposite the main
road entrance to Caffa Mill car park. It was originally erected
as a place of worship for the Roman Catholic community, although
a firm date seems unavailable. It is not marked as a church on
OS maps until the post-war period and was converted into
residential accommodation around the year 2000. It may also have
served as a Salvation Army hall but confirmation is lacking.
Fowey Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is on the
western side of the very narrow North Street, just twenty metres or
so north of the Custom House Hill junction. It was erected in 1894,
built on the site of an earlier chapel building which had been
constructed in 1801. This earlier building may have been the
Providence Chapel referred to in Tywardreath documents as being
granted a licence on 3 December 1800. It closed in 1977, was
converted badly, and was restored.
Fowey Old Congregational Chapel sat on
Bull Hill which is accessed via a flight of stone steps at the very
southern end of North Street. Its exact location is likely to be
where the present blue house is placed, as this is in line with the
(now-former) bank on Fore Street. The chapel was built in 1797 and
at some point it was also known as Mount Zion Independent Chapel
(probably at the beginning). It was replaced by a new chapel on
Lostwithiel Street in 1887.
Seaman's Mission (The Sailor's Home &
Rest) is at 28 Fore Street (eastern side - the white building in
the centre here), flanked by the old bank (inset, just beyond it).
The mission was erected in 1890 under the auspices of the Seamen's
Christian Friend Society, containing 23 rooms (both social rooms
and bedrooms), and a mission room to seat eighty. It is now the 'Old
Quay House Hotel', having been rescued from a crumbling ruin in 2002
and opening in autumn 2003.
Fowey Bible Christian Chapel is on the
west side of Fore Street, just ten metres or so south of the former
bank. Kelly's Directory of 1902 records the chapel here, stating
that it had been erected in 1883 at a cost of about £750, and that
it would hold 160 persons. Early OS maps fail to label the chapel,
but there is a highlighted building on Fore street on one 1907 map
which may be this one and which seems to have remained in use until
the Second World War period.
The Church of St Fimbarrus, Fowey, lies
on the west side of South Street, at its junction with Webb Street.
An early Christian enclosure or 'lann', was probably established
here in the sixth century by a small religious community, probably
close to the site of the church. This marks the end of the Saints'
Way, originally a drovers' route from Padstow. St Finn Bar, first
bishop of Cork, took this route on his way to Rome in the early
600s, stopping to build the original church here.
That early Cornish church was replaced by a
Norman building, but that too was replaced - by the present
structure before 1336. That has been rebuilt and restored in parts
several times, the first time being after a French raid in 1457.
The dedication may have been changed at some point - to that of the
Church of St Nicholas - before being changed back, but no details
seem to be available. In 1876, an important restoration took place
to remove the west gallery.
All photos on this page by Jo Lewis. Additional
information from Kelly's Directory of Cornwall (1902).