Stoke Canon Church Mission Room was built
about 1890 on the eastern side of the High Street, bounded on the
southern flank by Honors Farm. It is shown on the OS 25-inch map of
1892-1914 as Ebenezer Hall. Next door to it, on its northern flank,
Jubilee Hall was built in 1906 as a larger replacement which later
became available for community use. The old Ebenezer Hall shown here
is used today as a church hall and is home to Stoke Canon
St Antony's Chapel is inside the southern
'v'-shape formed by the Cowley Hill and St Andrew's Road junction.
Otherwise known as Cowley Church, it was built in 1867-1868
and is Grade 2 listed. The land for it was donated by the daughters
of the late Joseph Sheppard of Cowley Place who had allowed
worshippers to use his lounge. Closure and deconsecration took place
around 2013-2014, and permission was granted in 2017 to covert it
into a private residence.
The Parish Church of Our Lady (St Mary),
Upton Pyne, is on the west side of Upton Pyne Hill, behind buildings
lining this street. In 1328 Bishop Grandisson consecrated the church.
Flakes of paint found on the statues on the tower during recent
conservation work revealed that the figures were likely to have been
carved in the Exeter cathedral workshops during the 1380s. These
sculptures, although now rather worn, contribute to the building's
Grade 1 status.
An earlier church on the site was mentioned in
1283, but no identifiable remains survive in the present local
volcanic-trap-rock building. The old stone cross in the churchyard
by the south door is older than any part of the present church and
may well have belonged to the earlier one. The fifteen metre-high
tower, plus the centre and south aisles, were built about 1380. The
church was restored in 1875. The roof was entirely renewed, the
church re-floored, the organ aisle built.
The Chapel of St John the Baptist,
East Raddon (near Thorverton), stood at the south-west corner of
Rixenford Lane as it meets the Thorverton road from the north,
before turning sharply east again for Brampford Speke. Services
were still held in the early 1900s, but it fell out of use soon
after. The building was largely removed to Crediton Cemetery. The
remnants were built up as a house called No Man's Chapel,
now gone, while the site is now a garden for 'The Brambles'.
Brampford Speke Baptist Chapel is on the
western side of Chapel Road, flanked to the south by the Exe Valley
Tea Shop. The chapel was built in 1894, seemingly as an outreach of
South Street Baptist Church in Exeter (see links), a meeting that is
itself over two centuries old. Today the services at Brampford Speke
are more informal than they are at the Exeter chapel, with a warm
and welcoming fellowship that suits those wanting a smaller or more
Photos on this page kindly contributed by Mike
Yeats, Joseph Rogers, Kelek Trust, Robert Slack, and Bill Boaden,
all via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr