History Files
 

We need your support

support

 

 

Churches of the British Isles

Gallery: Churches of Devon

by Peter Kessler, 27 June 2026

East Devon Part 29: Churches of Ottery St Mary

St Anthony's Roman Catholic Church (Mill Street), Ottery St Mary, East Devon, Devon

St Anthony's Roman Catholic Church (Mill Street) is on the north-west corner of the Mill Street and Canaan Way junction, almost opposite the Methodist church (see 'related links'). Catholicism officially returned to the town in 1927, at St Anthony's North Street (see links). Then Raleigh House was used (to the immediate left of this photo) from 1929. The present chapel was opened in 1935, with the Marist Sisters (see links) taking over Raleigh House from 1945.

Hind Street Salvation Army Chapel, Ottery St Mary, East Devon, Devon

The former Hind Street Salvation Army Chapel, Ottery St Mary, is on the south side of Hind Street, directly opposite the access point for the Sainsbury's car park. An SA presence in the town began in 1895, but this meeting hall on Hind Street apparently appeared only after the Second World War, on what had been vacant land. The Salvation Army left in 2017, their final building in town. Planning was permitted in 2019 to turn the hall into two self-contained apartments.

Marist Convent School (Dolforgan), Ottery St Mary, East Devon, Devon

The Marist Convent School in the 'Dolforgan' building is on the southern side of Broad Street. The Marist Sisters were evacuated from Peckham at the start of the war. They arrived in Ottery on 31 December 31 1940 to establish their convent (see below) and this school. This remained a Marist convent school until it outgrew the building. The sisters moved to Raleigh House in 1945-1954 (see links), with a temporary late return to Dolforgan before the order retired in 2007.

Marist Convent House (Bradleigh End), Ottery St Mary, East Devon, Devon

The Marist Convent House (Bradleigh End) is on the south side of Longdog Lane to the immediate south of Ottery's town centre. It is shown as a convent on the OS National Grid 1940s-1970s map, having become home to the Marist Sisters in 1940. They opened a school in Dolforgan (see above) before moving to Raleigh House in 1945 (see links) and then returning to Dolforgan before the order retired in 2007. The status of their 1940-2007 convent building is uncertain.

New Life Church (Yonder Street), Ottery St Mary, East Devon, Devon

New Life Church (Yonder Street) in Ottery is on the street's south side, directly opposite the eastern edge of Chapel Lane. The building is shown on the OS National Grid post-war map as a hall, not a chapel. Open as an Evangelical church at least since 2009 but not operating as such in 2006 (Charity Commission records), the building's appearance here is unique. It seems to have closed prior to 2025, with New Life moving to The King's School Hall (see links).

Chapel Lane Salvation Army Chapel, Ottery St Mary, East Devon, Devon

The lost Chapel Lane Salvation Army Chapel stood on the corner here, on the western side of Chapel Lane, midway along and now replaced by houses on the northern side of Brook Street (itself formerly an open stream). The SA hall is shown on the OS National Grid maps 1940s-1970s, although the SA had been in the town since 1895. They left their final building in 2017, the Hind Street premises (see above) which was later converted into apartments.

Five photos on this page by P L Kessler & Janann Blanchard.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.
 

 

Alibris: Books, Music, & Movies
Alibris: Books, Music, & Movies
Please help the History Files