The Church of St James, Quedgeley, sits
inside a large, squared churchyard within the north-east corner of
the junction between School Lane and St James' in Gloucester. It
is medieval, largely originating in the twelfth century under the
Norman kings of England. Early on it bore the dual dedication of
St James & St Mary Magdalene, while the present building also
replaced an earlier one that dated at least to 1095 in this
predominantly rural district (until the 1900s).
The Lady chapel, along with the church spire,
dates from the thirteen century. The chapel contains small fragments
of medieval stained glass from before the Reformation, when it was
the scene of a dispute over the right of one Richard Barrow of Field
Court (Hardwicke) who wished to attend 'Divine Service' at
Quedgeley's church, but who was ejected from the building by one
John Porter (churchwarden) in 1512. The building's most recent
restoration was in 1856.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
JMC4 - Church Explorer, via the 'History Files: Churches of the
British Isles' Flickr group.