The Christadelphian Hall stands at the
south-east corner of the Priory Avenue and Winchester Street
junction. On the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 this area of Taunton
had not yet been built up, although the terraced houses were coming
close. All of the land to the east of this point was open ground,
partially the fields of Lambrook Farm. A small structure on the
1937-1961 maps may or may not be the hall itself. By the time of
the 1949-1968 series the hall certainly is there.
Canon Street Pentecostal Church is on the
western side of Canon Street, flanked by the large car park on its
northern and western sides. The London Gazette of 26 August
1952 states: 'A separate building, duly certified for religious
worship, named Pentecostal Church, situated at Canon Street, Taunton
in Taunton registration district in the county of Somerset was on
the 14 August 1952, registered for solemnising marriages therein'.
The building still stands.
Magdalen Street Ebenezer Chapel stood at
the very eastern end of the street, opposite the southern exit of
Canon Street. SW Heritage provides precise coordinates, but the
chapel is absent on the OS 25-inch map of the 1890s-1910s, so it
seems to have closed by that date. 'Ebenezer' was most often used
by the Baptists, suggesting an early Baptist chapel. Its congregation
may have moved to Silver Street. The site is now occupied by the
apartment block shown here.
Tancred Street Chapel stood on the street
of that name, but a precise location is unavailable. In 1732
Presbyterian members of the Paul Street meeting seceded and built
the Tancred Street meeting house. It is described as a compact
building fifty feet in length, decorated in front by lime trees. The
chapel attracted 'poorer cloth workers' and those involved in the
less skilled trades. They had to leave their now-ruinous chapel in
1814 to merge with the Unitarians.
The (New) Octagon Chapel sits on the
southern side of East Reach, opposite the Esso petrol station
which itself is about fifty metres east of Haydon Road. The
Methodists left the original Octagon Gospel Chapel in 1809 but
retained it for Sunday School work until 1832. Then it was used
by the Bible Christian Methodists until 1840 when the Christian
Brethren bought it. They sold it in 1965 when they moved to their
new Octagon Chapel, but this closed in 2012.
The Church of Our Lady of Glastonbury is
on the eastern side of South Street, overlooking the entrance of Alma
Street. Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, in response to the repeated
requests of young men who were interested in a traditional priestly
formation, founded the Society of Saint Pius X on 1 November 1970.
Eleven young men began their studies under the archbishop at a new
seminary in Econe, Switzerland, and this is one of the society's
The Salvation Army Community Hall in
Taunton stands on the western side of South Street, opposite the
Queen Street junction. The building was officially opened on 21
October 2009 by then-Taunton Deane Mayor Bob Bowrah, Taunton MP
Jeremy Browne, and national representatives of the Salvation Army.
It replaced a 1950s building. Before that was erected, OS maps show
what could be business premises on the site - no gardens and a small
yard to the rear.
Holy Trinity Church sits at the south-east
corner of the junction between Church Street and Trinity Street. In
1569 the number of people who lived in the Trinity area was around
forty. In 1831, with the development of the railway network, this
figure reached over two thousand. In 1839 the bishop of Bath and Wells
agreed to the establishment of the parish of Holy Trinity, with the
new parish church shown here opening on 18 June 1842.
The church itself stands out from the terraced
buildings surrounding it. Clad in white lias stone, it has a tower
nearly twenty eight metres tall, and is a large airy but compact
building, which originally seated over a thousand people. It is
very plain, almost austere to look at, but many people going in
for the first time comment on its beauty. The tower contains a
ring of six bells. The parish has never been wealthy, with the
church serving the former workhouse nearby.
The now-lost Victoria Street Wesleyan Methodist
Chapel stood on the eastern side of the street, immediately north
of No 3 which is part of a Victorian terrace. The chapel stood back
from the street, roughly where the modern utility building now stands.
It had a gabled front with corner buttresses and pinnacles, gabled
porch with traceried doors and grouped lancets. The chapel was built
in 1839 but it closed 1979 and was later demolished (it had gone by
Former Taunton Deane area church names and
locations kindly confirmed by South West Heritage Trust, with
additional information from The Chapels Society visit to
Mid-Somerset, 28 September 2013, by Peter Daniel, David
Dawson, and Roger Thorne.