St Mary's Church, Chirk, is at the
north-east corner of the Church Street and Trevor Road junction. The
original eleventh century Norman church on this site was dedicated
as St Tissilio's Church, probably built over a 'llan', a
walled enclosure with a chapel, hermit's huts, and burials, dedicated
to St Tysilio. The Norman building was enlarged in the 1400s and
rededicated to St Mary then or soon after. It remained part of the
Church of England until the 1920 withdrawal.
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Chirk,
Sits on the northern side of Castle Road, about midway between the
Castle Walks and Ceirog Close junctions. It was opened on 17 March
1929 by Bishop Francis Vaughan, having been built and furnished at
the expense of the then-Dowager Lady Trevor of Brynkinallt. She was
a member of the old Catholic Petre family. It replaced Chirk
Green Chapel, a wooden building of 1905 which sat in the grounds
of a nearby hospital.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Sam Weller via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'