St Mary's Parish Church (otherwise known
as Handsworth Old Church) is on the western side of Hamstead
Road in the city of Birmingham, looking down Church Hill Road opposite.
A small, austere Norman structure was erected here around 1160. This
was rebuilt in the Decorated style of Edward III. Major rebuilding and
massive expansion started in 1820 and 1826. Further alterations and
additions followed in 1876-1880, partially rebuilding the earlier
Holy Trinity Birchfield Parish Church is
at the north-east corner of Trinity Road and Birchfield Road in
Birmingham. It was designed by J A Chatwin in the Early English
style, consecrated in 1864. Built in red stone with limestone
dressings, it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and tower with
spire. A parish was assigned out of St Mary's Handsworth (above) in
1865. It was responsible for Wilson Road Mission Room
(1887-94) and the Finch Road School Mission (1904-26).
Salvation Army Nursery Road (Birmingham
Lozells) opened in 1892. Many former houses in this street that
are shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 were later cleared
entirely to leave the open green alongside North Road. The slight
slope in the photo, though, would seem to place the hall on the
eastern side of the street, around eighty metres north of the
Harborne Road junction in the Chad Valley area of Birmingham.
Post-war housing has replaced the hall.
St Wulstan's Church, Bournbrook, stands
on the southern side of Exeter Road, between the Hubert Road and
Tiverton Road junctions. It was founded as a mission to St Mary
Selly Oak in 1893, while the building was erected in 1906. Declared
surplus to requirements on 1983, the Selly Oak Elim Church membership
took it over, theoretically as Exeter Road Elim Church but
in fact the Selly Oak name was retained. In 2018 the Elim Church
was renamed Encounter Church.
St Edward's Roman Catholic Church, Selly
Oak, is at the south-west corner of Raddlebarn Road and Bournbrook
Road. It was designed in decorated Gothic style by Henry Thomas
Sandy, being brought into use when the nave opened on 13 October
1902, built by William Bishop of King's Heath. The sanctuary and
side chapels were built in 1925-1926 to a design by George Bernard
Cox of Harrison & Cox. The western end of the church was completed
Sladepool Farm Road Methodist Chapel began
in 1939 as a wooden school hall that had been established by Moseley
Road Circuit to serve the 10,000 people of the growing Maypole
Estate. In 1940 it provided sittings for 150. The hall was also used
by the Birmingham Education Committee as a day school. A separate,
temporary chapel was opened in 1949 to serve a congregation of about
forty. Today it is known as Maypole Methodist Church.
Five photos on this page kindly contributed by
Elliott Brown and Jo Lewis via the 'History Files: Churches of the
British Isles' Flickr group, and one by Rob Kinnon-Brettle and the
Salvation Army Historical and Philatelic Association.