The Parish Church of St Thomas a Becket,
Sutton-under-Brailes, lies on the northern side of the village's main
street. The church consists of a chancel, nave, and south porch-tower,
the earliest parts dating to the twelfth century. The chancel was rebuilt
in the thirteenth century and was probably lengthened eastwards at the end
of the century. The church paid tithes to the Deerhurst Priory in 1291, and
the advowson belonged to Westminster Abbey until 1550.
The two-stage south tower was added about 1340, but
it was probably later in the century that the top section was completed.
The clerestory was added in the fifteenth century, at which time the
western side wall was probably rebuilt straight, unlike the east wall.
The building underwent a good deal of rebuilding work in 1879, when the
walls were stripped of plaster and external cement, and the west and
south-west walls of the nave were rebuilt and new roofs provided.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan