St Thomas Becket Church, Ettington, is the
second 'old church' in the parish, and lies on the northern side of
Banbury Road, close to the roundabout at the western end of Ettington.
Due to the great distance of almost three kilometres (a mile
and-three-quarters) between the Old Church and Upper Ettington, a
vestry meeting was held on 28 April 1794 which decided to erect a new
church that was closer to home. An Act for that purpose was obtained
the following year.
St Thomas Becket opened for worship in 1798.
Unfortunately it quickly gained the reputation of being the ugliest
church in the county. It was superseded in 1903 by yet another new
church, Holy Trinity, on another site for unspecified reasons
(maybe as St Thomas was also on the edge of the village). It was
demolished in April 1913, apart from its tower which still serves
as a mortuary chapel. A stone in the graveyard marks the site of
the Shirley transept, 1800-1913.
Holy Trinity & St Thomas of Canterbury,
Ettington, is positioned on the south-western side of Halford Road
as it merges with Banbury Road, and is the village's third (and
still current) church. When it was decided after just a century that
the second church, St Thomas Becket, was to be replaced, a fresh
site was selected upon which to construct Holy Trinity. The work was
completed in in 1903, in the fourteenth century style using glorious
The church consists of a chancel, north tower and organ
chamber, south vestry, and nave. The walls are of Bourton stone. The tower
contains four bells, three of which are from the old church. Two of these
date to 1595 by Edward Newcombe, and the other is from 1624 by R Purdue of
Bristol. The fourth bell, a tenor, was recast in 1803. In the precinct of
the present church stands the village war memorial, a small granite cross
bearing the names of twenty-five fallen.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan