St Mary Immaculate Catholic Church is a
short way south of the Unitarian Chapel, on the eastern side of West
Street, with Castle Close behind it. The town's small but persistent Catholic
community registered a meeting place of its own in 1791 at Cocksparrow Hall
(now part of Bowling Green Street), and in 1860, the present church was designed
by well-known architect Edward Welby Pugin in red brick and Bath stone,
in the Decorated style.
St Paul's Church lies on the northern side
of Friars Street, west of St Mary. It was built in 1825, and was
originally named St Mary's Episcopal Chapel. It served as a
mortuary chapel for the cemetery in Friars Street, and was originally
a simple structure in late Perpendicular style, with unusually large
windows. In 1849, the chapel was converted to a suburban parish church,
dedicated to St Paul, and the old chapel became a long south transept
of the enlarged church.
Northgate Methodist Church is on the
southern side of Saltisford Road, between Joyce Pool and the Priory
Road roundabout. A Wesleyan chapel was built in Chapel Street in
about 1830 but sold in 1834. Two subsequent chapels, in Market Street
and Bowling Green Street were replaced in 1893 by this building, near
the old Northgate. The new chapel was in the Gothic style in red and
yellow brick with stone dressings. Behind it are chapel rooms that were
added in 1960-1961.
Warwick School Chapel lies on the southern
side of the Myton Road which connects Warwick to Leamington Spa, and
comes in near Warwick Castle. The independent school is reputedly
the third-oldest surviving in England (King's School, Canterbury is
the first), dating back to perhaps the mid-tenth century. The chapel
was added between 1879-1893, when the school moved to its present
site from the old college of the Vicars Choral in St Mary's
Three photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan
McRae Thomson, and one by Elliott Brown via the 'History Files: Churches
of the British Isles' Flickr group.