The Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Honily,
is on the northern side of the lane, midway between the main road and Honiley
Hall in this very small village. The Georgian church was built in
1723 for John Sanders of Honiley House (since demolished), replacing
one which dated to at least 1318. The replacement was of Arden sandstone
with a nave with a half-round apse for the chancel, and a west
tower. The ashlar walls have pilasters at the angles and north and
Inside, the stone font is modern, but in the deep north splay of the inner
west doorway is a coved half-round niche fitted with a partly
projecting marble basin. It has no drain but was probably intended
to serve as a font. The tower is fitted with a ring of five bells
which all date to 1731 and were made by Thomas Eayre of Kettering.
The advowson usually remained with the local manor, although in 1535
the value of the benefice was too low to be able to maintain an incumbent.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan