The latest web browsers are making it impossible to avoid
providing a fully secure website, but unfortunately that costs. The History Files
is a non-profit site and hosting fees are also an issue, so we need your help.
Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that
we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure
site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs
in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Barking Methodist Church is on the southern
side of London Road, opposite St James Street. Opened perhaps as
early as 1824, a Wesleyan chapel was sited in Bull Street. In 1869 a
new chapel was built, and in 1928 a central hall was added on
the opposite (north) side of East Street. The old chapel was
demolished, but most of the hall was destroyed by a Second World War
rocket. The present church went up at the rear of the site in 1958,
with a London Road frontage.
Elim Christian Centre is on the northern
side of Axe Street, close to Ripple Road. It was established here
about 1926, in an iron building, replaced in 1954 by the present
brick church. Close by was the small Heath Street Latter-Day Saints
meeting (from 1851). They were in North Street in 1854, surviving for a
few more years. Queen's Road Peculiar People met from 1898, when
they bought the old Baptist chapel. This was demolished in the municipal
redevelopment of 1961-1962.
Barking Abbey lay immediately north of St
Margaret's Church (below). Founded by St Erkenwald in 666 as a
missionary centre, it was destroyed by Vikings in 870 and rebuilt in
the tenth century. Dissolved in 1539, the buildings were demolished
within three years, and for almost 400 years the site was used as a
quarry and a farm. The Curfew Tower pictured is a fourteenth century
gateway to the abbey. A small chapel existed above it, and was once a
place of pilgrimage.
The Parish Church of St Margaret of Antioch
Barking lies on the large expanse of ground between Abbey Road and
North Street, and between Barking Creek and the centre of Barking.
Originally part of Barking Abbey, on its southern side, the church
began life as a chapel for the local people and worship was lead by
a chaplain from the abbey. The oldest part of the present building
is thought to be the chancel which was built between 1200-1215.
The bell tower was added in the late 1400s and houses
a peal of eight bells. Captain James Cook was married here on 21 December
1762 and not long afterwards, in 1772, the ceilings of the nave, chancel and
sanctuary were covered in plaster, which was removed from the nave in 1842.
A mission hall was added in Fisher Street (now Abbey Road) in 1878 (now gone),
and a mission church was opened at Creekmouth by 1894, which probably closed
Barking Congregational Church stood on the
north-eastern corner of Barking Broadway (North Street) and Clockhouse
Avenue, next to the town hall (which is to the right of these buildings).
A meeting house was erected here by Brickfields Congregational Church in
1785. It was enlarged in 1805 and rebuilt in 1824-1826. A larger building
was opened in 1864. The church moved to Upney Lane in 1929 (now United
Reformed) and by 1964 the old church was the market hall.
Axe Street Meeting House lies on the northern
side of Axe Street, close to North Street. About 1846 a group of 'Protestant
Christians' built a meeting house here. In 1862 it was described as a chapel
of the Brethren, and perhaps had been taken over by Brethren who in 1858 were
meeting in Fisher Street. It was subsequently known as Park Hall. In 1931 it
was rebuilt on a neighbouring site in Axe Street. By 1963 it was an
undenominational church called the New Park Hall.
Emmanuel Baptist Mission existed at a location
along Gascoigne Road, seen here from its northern end. In 1909 members of
Barking Baptist Tabernacle started a mission in Heath Street, which was later
transferred to Abbey Road, as the Abbey Hall Mission, and
subsequently to Gascoigne Road as the Emmanuel Mission. This existed in 1966
but had long vanished by 2009. No sign of the mission's existence remains and
its exact location cannot be pinpointed.
Gospel Faith Mission International exists on
the southern side of Ripple Road, midway between King Edward's Road and
the Salvation Army citadel (below). It houses an Evangelical church
which is also known as the Divine Connection Centre, but the building may
formerly have been St Margaret's Church Hall (this cannot be confirmed).
The hall was built in 1955 on the site of St Paul's Church, erected
in 1893, completed in 1914, and destroyed by bombing in 1944.
The Salvation Army citadel stands on the southern
side of Ripple Road, close to the junction with Movers Lane on its eastern
side. Barking was one of the earliest centres of Salvation Army work. In 1873,
a station was opened in a building called the Old Bethel at the Town
Quay. It eventually proved inadequate and in 1889 a hall was taken in Ripple
Road. In 1922 a new hall was built in the same road. This burnt down in 1934,
and in 1935 a new set of buildings was erected.