You have been wonderful! The target for 2019 has been reached in less than a month.
Thank you for supporting the History Files website, for making it possible for more highly detailed historical
information to be researched and written for you, and for making it possible to switch to a secure format later
this year. Your help and support is very much appreciated.
St Laurence Church Barkingside is on the eastern side
of Donington Avenue, on the corner with Hamilton Avenue, close to Newbury Park
(originally known as Horns Village). An iron mission church dedicated to St
Laurence was erected on nearby Netley Road before 1890. It was enlarged in 1898,
but remained attached to Holy Trinity, Barkingside, until 1934, when a
conventional district was created from parts of the parishes of Holy Trinity,
St Peter, and St Clement, Ilford.
A church hall was built in Emmott Avenue, on the southern
side of the present church (to the left of this photo), which was opened in
1939. The district became a parish at the same time. The church was built in
brown brick with an aisled nave, transepts, and a central tower. Structural
provision was made to add a chancel and raise the height of the tower at some
future date. The congregation of 2010 was not large, but the church was tidy
and well kept.
Cranley Road Christian Centre lies on the north
side of Cranley Road, on the corner with Badger Close. Since October 2004
the chapel has been used by the Emmanuel Christian Fellowship.
and is organised with leanings towards the Baptist church. Most of
the members are from various parts of southern India, especially
from Sri Lanka where many have tried to escape the war there. Some
have a Hindu background, and Sunday services are in Tamil.
The Parish Church of St Margaret of Antioch
occupies the northern end of Balfour Road, on the south-eastern corner
with Perth Road. The church was built to a design by Edwin T Dunn and
consecrated on 10 October 1914 as a chapel-of ease to St Clement,
Ilford. It was built in red brick which looks warm and welcoming in
the sunlight, in the Perpendicular style, containing an aisled nave
and a chancel. A conventional district was formed in 1960.
The parish absorbed that of the redundant St Clement's,
which was demolished in 1977. The union of the two parishes was not
effected until November 2002, as the St Clement's congregation had
been meeting in a worship centre built into the upper level of Cecil
Hall, a former parish hall. The new parish covers the north-eastern part
of Ilford, a largely residential area, but also includes part of the heavily
urbanised and extremely busy town centre.
The Parish Church of St George Barkingside
is on the eastern side of Woodford Avenue, on the corner with Gantshill
Crescent. In 1899 an iron mission church was opened at the southern end
of the parish of Barkingside, in the district then called the Beehive and
which is now known as Gants Hill. In 1927 a larger, temporary church was
built on the same site and in the following year a new parish was formed
from parts of Holy Trinity, Barkingside, and St Clement, Ilford.
The foundation stone for the permanent church building
was laid by Lady Cooper CBE on 27 June 1931, and the completed church was
consecrated in 1932. It was designed by Sir Charles Archibald Nicholson,
second baronet of Luddenham (1867-1949), a well-known ecclesiastical
architect, and is built in red brick, with a nave, chancel, lady chapel
and organ chamber. The base of the west tower forms a baptistery, and the
bishop of Chelmsford is patron of the vicarage.
Gants Hill United Reformed Church is on the west
side of Woodford Avenue, virtually opposite St George's. The church was
founded as Woodford Avenue Congregational Church, with help from
Ilford High Road Church. The first building was erected in 1927, and the
present church, a brown-brick building with a long frontage, Gothic windows,
and a tower, was completed alongside it in 1931. It also hosts All Souls
Mission of the Redeemed Christian Church of God.
Ilford Synagogue, Gants Hill is on the northern
side of Beehive Lane. The synagogue was founded in 1936, and moved to its
present site at some point in the 1960s. The 'cathedral style' building has
been maintained ever since as a community building which is constantly being
improved. About 2008 a major refurbishment of the Mark Lewis Hall and the
kitchen was undertaken to serve a varied membership ranging from strictly
orthodox to less observant members.
The Drive Methodist Church is on the
south-eastern corner of The Drive and Eastern Avenue. It was opened
on 8 September 1928 as Eastern Avenue Methodist Church. After
the First World War, the local population grew rapidly and between
1928-1932 a school hall and tennis courts were added to the site on
donated land. Church attendance declined in the 1960s, and when
Cranbrook Park Church closed the two congregations merged and the
church was renamed.