Roding Lane Free Church sits on the eastern side
of Roding Lane South, close to Redbridge Underground. The church originated
in 1932, when H E Borton of Wanstead built a free church at his own
expense on land donated by P E Brand. Further buildings were added
in 1942 and 1952. In 1940 Dr Nathaniel Beattie became lay pastor for
the church. In 1952 the church became definitely Baptist, with Open
Communion. Its premises were vested in the Baptist Property Board.
St John the Baptist Catholic Church is on
the western side of Wanstead Park Road, opposite Highlands Gardens in
Cranbrook. The church was founded 1967, and was built as one of the
most recent Catholic churches in the diocese. The structure is very
modernistic, in yellow brick with two large windows and a free-standing
tower with bell cavity. The church has very little recorded history.
Before it was opened, St Augustine's in Gants Hill was the nearest
St Andrew's Parish Church sits impressively
on the south-east corner of The Drive and St Andrew's Road in
Cranbrook, an area to the immediate north of Ilford. Building development
in Cranbrook, which formed part of the parish of St Clement's Church (see
below) meant that Anglican representation was needed. In 1906 a church
hall was opened here (on the right in the photo). In 1923-1924 the present
permanent church was built, gaining its own parish at the same time.
The church was constructed of red brick both inside
and out, to a design by Sir Herbert Baker, and it incorporates both Gothic
and Renaissance features. It has a tall west bell turret (seen here at the
front of the church) and contains a lofty nave with passage aisles, a double
entrance (something which is not so usual with Anglican churches), a west
baptistery, an apsidal chancel, and a north chapel. The advowson of the
vicarage is held by the bishop of Chelmsford.
Cranbrook Park (Wesleyan) Methodist Church
lay on the north-east corner of The Drive and Clarendon Gardens. A
temporary building opened in 1904. The permanent church was completed
in May 1914 followed by a Sunday School in 1925. It thrived in the
inter-war years, but membership gradually fell throughout the 1960s.
The church closed in 1973, and its congregation joined the nearby Drive
Church. The site was sold and used to build sheltered housing.
St Clement's Church Great Ilford stood on
the northern corner of Park Avenue and Valentine's Road. The church
was built between 1889-1896, and in 1902 it replaced St Mary's, Great
Ilford, as the principal parish church of Ilford. The church was closed
in 1977 and was subsequently demolished. A new St Clement's Church was
formed on an upper floor of the church hall (to the immediate right of
this photo). This became The King's Church after 2003 (see below).
The King's Church is on Granville Road,
bordered north and south by Valentine's Road and Ingleby Road. Originally
it was the church hall for St Clement's Church (above). That was demolished
in 1977 and the church re-founded in an upper floor of the hall, which was
licensed for marriages from 2 February 1979. The parish was united about 2003
with that of St Margaret of Antioch, and the church closed in July 2003. The
building was taken over by the present Newfrontiers church.
Christ Church Congregational Church lies
on the western side of Cranbrook Road, opposite Park Avenue. It
started in an iron building in 1895, and was formally constituted in
1896. In 1904 the church was renamed Wycliffe Congregational Church
ahead of the 1906 union with that church in Stepney. The Stepney
church was sold, and in 1907 a new Wycliffe was built on the Ilford
site. It eventually closed and now houses a property management
Ilford Federation Synagogue is on the southern
side of Coventry Road, midway between Morland Road and Granville Road. It
was founded as Ilford & Valentines Park Synagogue in 1927, with
its opposing United Synagogue, Ilford District Synagogue on Beehive Lane,
being opened in 1936. The original building was replaced, probably in the
1970s, but in 2010 the sharing of the Beehive Lane site by both bodies was
being discussed as a serious possibility.
Cranbrook Road Baptist Church occupies a large
plot on the southern side of Wellesley Road, midway between Morland and
Cranbrook roads. It was opened in 1899 on the site which had been purchased
eight years earlier by the High Road Baptists. A minister was appointed in
the same year, and in 1900 the church was formally constituted. A Sunday
school hall was opened in 1906, but during the Second World War the old
building was damaged by incendiary bombs.