Trinity Methodist Church is on the northern
side of Monksgate, opposite Agar Street. The Primitive Methodists
found Ebenezer Chapel to be too small, and in 1885 purchased this
present site in Monkgate. Opened as Monkgate Chapel in January
1903, it was built by F W Dixon of Manchester in red brick with stone
facings. Also known as John Petty Memorial Chapel, it became
the head of the York Circuit and later gained its present name,
possibly after Methodist union.
St Cuthbert's Church stands on the northern
side of Peasholme Green, to the immediate east of central York. The
church was built near Layerthorpe Postern on York city walls. It
existed by 1087 but no other record of it predates 1238. The existing
building dates to 1430 when it was restored and largely rebuilt by
William de Bowes, lord mayor of York in 1417 and 1428. Roman stones
can still be found in its walls, suggesting a much earlier date for
the original Saxon building.
The church has a nave and west tower. The porch
and vestry are modern. Part of the east wall was put up in the
eleventh century, but the rest is a full rebuild of about 1500,
apparently to enlarge it. Since 1991, Visions Multimedia Worship
have run it. Nearby, at the lower end of Aldwark, just metres west
of the church, Peasholme Green Wesleyan Chapel was built and
probably opened on 15 July 1759. It was sold in 1806 after the
Methodists moved to New Street Chapel.
York Unitarian Chapel is on the northern
side of Saint Saviourgate, very close to the junction with Spen Lane.
The earliest of York's surviving nonconformist churches, it was built
in 1692-1693 as St Saviourgate Presbyterian Chapel after
worshippers had used private houses since 1672. It was also known as
Lady Hewley's Chapel, after one of their key supporters and
benefactors. The brick building is in the form of a cross. The land
around it was used as a burial ground.
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.