History Files
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Warwickshire

by Peter Kessler & Aidan McRae Thomson, 29 May 2011

 

 

South Warwickshire Part 25: Churches of Shipston-on-Stour

The Anglican Parish Church of St Edmund

The Anglican Parish Church of St Edmund, Shipston-on-Stour, stands at the eastern side of Church Street, opposite the Market Place. The first church here was probably built in the thirteenth century as a chapel of ease to Treddington, and certainly existed by 1299, when there was trouble finding a chaplain for it. It consisted of a chancel and chapel and a nave separated from a north aisle by a round-arched arcade. The tower was added in the fifteenth century.

The Anglican Parish Church of St Edmund

The church gained its own parish in 1719. In 1855 it was entirely rebuilt in the fourteenth century style by George Edmund Street. Only the tower survived. The church consists of a chancel, a north chapel, a vestry to the north of this, south chapel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. This parish was transferred from Worcestershire to Warwickshire in 1931. There are six bells in the tower, all by Matthew Bagley from 1754, except the third, which is of 1774.

All photos on this page contributed by Aidan McRae Thomson.

In Depth
In Depth
 

 

     
Copyright
Images and text copyright all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.