History Files History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Essex

by Peter Kessler, 22 May 2020

Basildon Part 3: Churches of Billericay

Church of St Mary Magdalen, Billericay, Basildon, Essex

The Church of St Mary Magdalen, Billericay, stands on the eastern side of the High Street, with Chapel Street immediately behind it and the junction between the two on its northern flank. As medieval Billericay grew in importance it gained a chantry chapel around 1342. A new tower was added in 1490 when the rest of the chapel was rebuilt in brick. The church was rebuilt again in the 1700s with only the tower remaining unchanged, save the new archway being added.

Billericay Gospel Hall / Undenominational Church / Evangelical Free Church, Billericay, Basildon, Essex

Billericay Gospel Hall, on the western side of Chapel Street, opposite Chapel Mews, was built in 1906 by C H Mill, soon after he had taken up residence next door. Smaller than today it replaced an earlier house that had seen temporary chapel use and which partially survives in the rear wall. It was frequently packed out. Extended around 1910, Dr Shackleton took over in 1919, renaming it the Undenominational Church. It later became Billericay Evangelical Free Church.

One photo on this page kindly contributed by Ken Porter of Basildon Borough Heritage Society, and one by David Robarts via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.