The Minster Church of St Nicholas, Great
Yarmouth, lies between Priory Plain and Northgate Street, with
its main entrance at Church Path as seen here. The church was originally
part of a priory, founded in 1101 by Herbert de Losinga (bishop of Norwich).
It is the largest parish church in the country and arguably the oldest
building in Great Yarmouth. During the medieval period the church was
at its most magnificent, with stained glass, tapestries, and much more.
At this time Great Yarmouth was the fourth richest
town in England but the interior was destroyed during the Reformation
and the priory was dissolved. In 1649 the church was divided into three
for Anglicans (south aisle), Puritans (chancel), and Presbyterians (north
aisle). In 1942 the church was completely gutted during a German air raid.
Only the Norman tower and the walls remained. The church was rebuilt by
Stephen Dykes Bower and was reconsecrated in 1961.
The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity and All
Saints, Winterton-on-Sea sits on the northern side of Black Street,
next to the junction with Bulmer Lane. It was built during the fourteenth
and fifteenth centuries. With a tower that measures over forty metres
in height it dominates the landscape and has served as a lookout post
during times of war. Some of the soldiers who spent cold and lonely nights
up there left their marks etched into the lead roof.
The church underwent a major restoration in 2014.
Inside, nets from one of the last fishing boats that made a living
from the beach still hang from the walls. At the back of the church
is Fisherman's Corner, with a crucifix carved from ships' timbers.
The feature was the idea of the Reverend Clarence Porter, rector
between 1925-1932. His life was cut short when he suffered a heart
attack after rescuing a choirboy from the sea. He is buried in the
The former Winterton-on-Sea Primitive Methodist
Chapel occupies the south-eastern corner of Beach Road and The Lane.
It was erected in 1876, as noted above the entrance, for a cost of £650
and supplying 250 seats. The clock is also a war memorial with text
around the clock face. There is some confusion in online records
about precisely when the chapel was closed - seemingly somewhere
around 2012 - but by 2019 it was certainly a private residence.