The Church of St Peter, Sudbury, stands on
a narrow strip of ground between King Street and Market Hill at the
centre of the town. A church existed on this site by 1180, but the
present, mainly Perpendicular, building is largely fifteenth century
(circa 1485). Its rebuilding was funded by the local guilds
and townsfolk. The copper spire at the top of the west tower was
added in 1850 but was removed during repairs in 1969. Today the
redundant church is a cultural venue.
St George's Church, Sudbury, sits on the
west side of Gregory Street, between The Croft to its north and
Walnutt Tree Lane to its south. Originally a collegiate church and
the town's mother church, it sits on a Saxon site. The present
building is mainly Perpendicular with later additions, with a north
aisle that dates to 1370 and a south aisle to about a century later.
The tower started off with six bells, but two more were later added
while the tower was fully restored in 1978.
The Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul
Lavenham is at the north-east corner of the Church Street and
Potland Lane junction. It was founded as a 'wool church', financed
primarily by donations from rich late medieval merchants and farmers
in that trade. The present chancel replaced a Saxon building in the
fourteenth century, and the rest of the late Perpendicular building
gradually grew up around it. Further reconstruction took place
in 1485-1525 under John Wastell.
Two photos on this page kindly contributed
by Elliott Brown and one by Howard Somerville, all via the
'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.