St Mary's Church, Bletchley, is at the
northern end of a long path from the north side of Church Green, and
with Whalley Drive Cemetery on its western flank. When Milton Keynes
was designated a new town in 1967, Bletchley, now part of it, had
already long been a small town in its own right. The church is
Norman, originally built in the late twelfth century but rebuilt in
the thirteenth century and being added to and altered over the
course of the subsequent two centuries.
Generally Perpendicular in style, the church was
built using limestone rubble. The chancel is thirteenth century
while the fourteenth century south porch has a wonderful Norman
doorway which may have been moved from elsewhere in the structure
during the rebuild. It was fully restored in the early eighteenth
century (by Browne Willis, the noted early antiquary), and then
again in the nineteenth century. The interior has very complete
medieval fabric of the late 1200s-1400s.
All Saints Church, Bow Brickhill, is
south-west of Church Road, and roughly 150m south-east of the
Drakewell Road junction. It dates to before 1185 but heavy
remodelling in the 1400s obliterated most of the earlier details
(adding the aisles). It is built of sandstone rubble, in large
blocks, dug from the greensand escarpment on which is stands. It was
extensively restored by Browne Willis in 1757. During the Napoleonic
Wars the tower was used as a telegraph station.
Two photos on this page originally published
on Lynne's 'Echoes of the Past' blog and reproduced here with
permission, and one kindly contributed by Douglas Law via the
'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.
Additional information from Echoes of the Past and by Douglas