History Files History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Buckinghamshire

by Peter Kessler, 9 October 2020

Aylesbury Vale Part 1: Churches of Buckingham & Haddenham

Church of St Peter & St Paul, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire

The Church of St Peter & St Paul, Buckingham, occupies the western central space between Nelson Street and Well Street, albeit hidden behind the latter's shop fronts and Well St United Church. The present church sits on the site of a former Saxon castle. It was completed in 1781 following the destruction of the previous building in Hunter Street, caused by the collapse of its steeple. A partial rebuild was carried out by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the nineteenth century.

St Mary's Church, Church End, Haddenham, Buckinghamshire

St Mary's Church, Church End, Haddenham, sits in the south-east corner of the junction between Aston Road and Church End at the southern edge of the village. A Saxon church existed here before Domesday Book in 1086. The present building was erected in the thirteenth century, with the tower being the last section to be completed. A twenty-first century renovation and re-ordering project was completed more recently, bringing standards fully up-to-date.

Photos on this page kindly contributed by Douglas Law and Stuart Smith, all via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group. Additional information by Douglas Law.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.