The Church of St Nicholas of Myra is
bounded by Church Street to its north and Dyke Road to its west
in the heart of Brighton. The earliest reference to a church in
Brighthelmstone, the pre-Regency name for Brighton, comes from
Domesday Book. Nothing remains of that South Saxon building,
although various traces of the Norman replacement do survive,
such as the font of about 1170 and the columns and arches of the
nave, chancel, and the single-stage crenellated tower.
Much of the Norman work is late, from around
1380. The side chapel, now the Lady Chapel, dates from the early
years of the sixteenth century and may originally have been a
chantry chapel. In 1853 the rest of the church was largely rebuilt,
which included the widening of both aisles and the lengthening of
the north aisle, by R C Carpenter. Further amendments took place in
1877. Until 1873 it was still Brighton's parish church, and it
remains its mother church.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Sam Weller via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'