The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
Apuldram lies at the northern tip of a lane, beyond which is the
east-west lane between Appledram Lane South and Quay Quarters Farm.
Close to Chichester Harbour, it was built in flint rubble with
dressings of ashlar, principally Caen stone, capped with a tiled
roof. It was first erected in the thirteenth century, consisting of
a nave, chancel, and south aisle, but incorporating in the north
wall of the nave a fragment of an earlier building.
The short history of that earlier, twelfth
century building seems to be unavailable. Around the fourteenth
century a small sacristy, since destroyed, was added north of the
chancel, and in the fifteenth century the present south porch was
added. The church was restored in 1803 when a new pulpit was
erected, and again in 1845 and 1862. A much more complete
restoration was undertaken in 1877, when the whole of the roofing,
including the bell cote, was renewed.
St Mary's Church, Parish of Chidham,
sits at the north-west corner of the Cot Lane 's'-bend, part of
a peninsula which juts into Chichester Harbour. The nave and chancel
are of thirteenth century flint rubble, mostly plastered, with ashlar
dressings, and roofed with tile. The short north aisle (perhaps
intended to be a chantry) was added in the early fourteenth century.
There was no medieval tower, perhaps unusually, so the bell cote was
added in the nineteenth century.
St Mary the Virgin, Upwaltham, is on the
north-western side of the A285 road, immediately north of Upwaltham
Barns. Built around the late 1000s or early 1100s it remains little
altered in size and structure, although some of the windows are
Victorian. The thick walls are of stone and downland flint, while
the tall, narrow nave and rounded apse chancel for the altar are
both Norman. Some minor revisions have taken place elsewhere but it
remains largely unchanged.
Three photos on this page originally published
on Lynne's 'Echoes of the Past' blog and reproduced here with
permission, and one kindly contributed by Douglas Law via the
'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.
Additional information by Douglas Law.