Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Romford Congregational Church stood at the
north-western corner of South Street and Arcade Place in the very centre
of Romford. The church was built in 1877 to replace the Union Chapel. Known
initially as Romford Independent Church, its style was Early English,
in brick faced with Kentish ragstone, designed by E C Allam of Romford. It
was gutted by fire in 1883 and rebuilt. In 1965 it was sold for redevelopment
and replaced by Western Road Church.
The Parish Church of St Edward the Confessor &
the Blessed Virgin Mary, Market Place, Romford stands in the heart of
the busy town, surrounded by shops and parked cars. The earliest known place
of worship in Romford was St Andrew's Chapel (see below), located in what is
still known as the Oldchurch area. It was first mentioned in 1177. Built near
the River Rom (then called Mercke-dych, or border ditch), it became isolated
and too ruinous to use by 1410.
When the focus of the town was relocated from Oldchurch
in 1410, a new chapel of St Edward was built on the present site. It consisted
of a chancel, nave and north aisle, and was larger than the old church, with a
brick tower with five bells. This was demolished in 1849 and the present church
was built in its place by 1850. Designed by John Johnson, it is of Kentish ragstone
with Bath stone dressings in the Decorated style. Some stone was re-used from the
Trinity (Wesleyan) Methodist Church sits at the
north-western corner of Angel Way (formerly Mawney Road) as it turns east,
with St Edward's Way in front of the church. The first Wesleyan Methodist
church in the town was opened on the High Street in 1827 (see below). This
was sold to the Salvation Army in 1887 and the present church was built on
the growing Mawneys Estate. New vestries were added in 1923, and further
extensive alterations were carried out in 1936.
The Salvation Army citadel is on the northern side
of the High Street, at the western end almost opposite Logan Mews. From 1881
the Army used the Union Chapel before taking over the High Street Methodist
Chapel between 1887-1967. Then the present citadel was built to replace it
a little farther east (the old building was cleared away for the
nearby roundabout). Also hereabouts, Brazier's Yard Mission, High Street
was open between 1884-1912.
Salem Baptist Church is on the eastern wedge
between St Andrew's Road and London Road. It was founded in 1836
by Ilford Baptist Church. Early meetings were held in a schoolroom
in the marketplace, near Zoar (Strict) Baptist Church
(1850-1871). In 1840 a small chapel was built on part of the old barracks
in London Road. In 1847 some members formed a church at Chadwell
Heath. Those still at Salem built the present chapel next to the
older building (on the left).
St Andrew's Church Romford lies on the Western side
of St Andrew's Road, opposite Queen Street. The church was built in 1862 for
the new working-class district on the former barracks ground. The building,
designed by John Johnson, is of Kentish ragstone in the Early English style.
Since the Second World War the district has been redeveloped, but St Andrew
remains, in its small, walled churchyard. A separate parish, taken from
Romford, was assigned in 1863.
The building cost £4,500 and took twelve months to
construct, after the laying of the foundation stone by Mr O E Coope, a
prominent and generous member of the building committee and associate of
the local brewery that bore his family name. The mission church of St Agnes
was opened in 1928. The churches of St Alban Princes Road (built 1890), and
St Augustine Rush Green (built 1958) also began as missions of St Andrew,
but were later given their own parishes.
St Andrew's Chapel stood on the southern side of the
busy junction between South Street and Old Church Road, but the exact spot
is uncertain. It was Romford's first Anglican place of worship, mentioned in
1177 when the pope confirmed it to Hornchurch Priory along with
Havering church (St Andrew Hornchurch). No details exist of its appearance, and
by 1410 it was ruinous and isolated. The parish church of St Edward the Confessor
replaced it (see above).
Elim Christian Centre is on the south-eastern corner
of Wheatsheaf Road and Richmond Road. It started in 1944 in a hall later known
as Christ Church, in Victoria Road. It was re-registered in 1948 by the
Bible Pattern Church Fellowship, which in 1955 moved to Wheatsheaf Road.
'Elim' was used from 1960. Nearby, Richmond Road Peculiar People's Church
was built in the 1920s. It became Richmond Road Evangelical Church in 1934
but has since been lost.