YOUR PICTURE GALLERY IS NOW LOADING...
St Peter Upton Park stood on the
eastern side of Upton Lane in West Ham, midway between the
junctions for Lancaster and Boleyn roads and with St Antony of
Padua behind it (see links). It began as the nearby Pelly Road
Mission, at the south-east corner with Crescent Road. An iron
church was licensed in 1877. Construction of St Peter's began in
1893, in red and yellow brick in the Early English style, but
demolition followed between 1973 and 2010.
Upton Cross Baptist Church stands very
close to the north-eastern corner of Neville Road and Upton Lane
in West Ham. It appears to have originated around 1883, possibly
through missionary work carried on by members of West Ham Park
Tabernacle (see below) which seems to have had some Baptist
connections. This hall for its independent congregation was built
in 1885 but appears to have closed after 1966. By 2013 the building
had been re-titled Blossom House.
West Ham Park Tabernacle formerly stood
on the western side of East Road. The tabernacle was registered as
an Independent Methodist church in 1879. Little is known about it,
and it is unlikely to have belonged to one of the main branches of
Methodism. Possibly it was the result of a local secession. It had
Baptist links and the building was later used by Upton Manor
Congregationalists (below) and then by All Saints Church. Demolition
may have been in the 1980s.
Glad Tidings Free Pentecostal Church is
on the northern side of Plashet Road, midway between the St Anthony's
Road and Dacre Road junctions. A Free Church of England meeting at
13 Balaam Street in Plaistow existed briefly in 1873. The present
building was erected in 1889 as St John's Reformed Episcopal
Church. In 1912 the building was taken over by the Moravians as
Upton Manor Church. The site's iron schoolroom was destroyed
by Second World War bombing.
Plaistow Seventh-Day Adventist Church is
at the south-east corner of Nevill Road and St Anthony's Road. It
was registered at an unknown date before 1998, at which time a
visitation report was compiled by the Seventh-Day Adventist church
in Britain. The church has its origins around the time of the
American Civil War, coming to the UK in the late Victorian period.
The Plaistow congregation have links to the London Ghana SDA
congregation at Canning town (see links).
Latimer Hall Chapel reportedly stood on
Boleyn Road (hence this shot). However, the OS 25-inch map of
1892-1914 shows Boleyn Road Primitive Methodist Hall at
the south-east corner of Green Street and Cromwell Road, on the
opposite side of Green Street to Boleyn Road, and one block north.
Founded around 1886 as an undenominational mission, it was sold by
1923. It was named Latimer Hall chapel in 1939-1965, but was
demolished after the latter date.
St Stephen's Green Street stood at the
north-east corner of Green Street and St Stephen's Road in West
Ham. The nave and aisles were completed in 1887, when the church
first opened. The rest of the work was completed in 1894, making
it one of the largest churches in the entire diocese. It was
renovated in 1938 but wrecked by bombing in 1940. Later it was
decided not to rebuild, with demolition following in 1954 and St
Stephen's Parade being built over the site.
Upton Park Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stood
on Green Street in West Ham, at an uncertain location (this shot looks
south along Green Street from the junction with Plashet Grove).
Registers exist for the church between 1883-1965, but it is reported
to have opened in 1882. A larger church was erected in 1893-94, the
original building becoming the church hall. An extension was built
in 1899-1900, and in 1904 the membership was 261. It must have been
demolished after 1965.
Harold Road Free Methodist Church stands
at the north-east corner of Harold Road and Claude Road. Plaistow's
High Street Wesleyan Methodist Church began about 1867,
opening the High Street & Swete Street corner chapel in 1880.
It was destroyed by bombing in 1941. Harold Road opened in 1901 but
was always heavily in debt, making it a relief when High Street took
over here. By 2013, Harold Road's building housed the Presbyterian
Church of Ghana.
Upton Manor Congregational Church stood on
the west side of Pelly Road, north of the railway bridge. West Ham Park
Tabernacle (above) began in 1879. Initially it was Independent Methodist
but by 1890 was Congregational. In 1904 its members bought the former
Pelly Road United Methodist Free Church, to which they moved as
Upton Manor Church, but this ceased by 1909. The Pelly Road
building became the Given-Wilson institute, associated with St Mary's
Seven photos on this page by P L Kessler, and
two kindly contributed by the London Borough of Newham.