Christ Church Wanstead lies in a lark park
between Wanstead Place and Wanstead High Street. Until 1861, St Mary's
was the only Anglican church in Wanstead until this church was opened
as a chapel of ease. It was built in stone in the Early English style
to the design of (Sir) George Gilbert Scott. The south aisle was added
in 1867 and the north tower and spire in 1868-1869. The building was set
back from the High Street, on the edge of the public park.
Christ Church has remained a chapel of ease, but
missions elsewhere within the ancient parish resulted in the formation
of further new parishes. The first ring of six bells installed into the
church's new tower in 1869 were made of steel instead of the conventional
bronze. They were presented to the church, with a turret clock, by Lady
Morrison who lived at the Hermitage in Snaresbrook. Subject to rust
they had to be replaced by six bronze bells in 1934.
Wanstead United Reformed Church overlooks
the High Street from its position set back on the inside of the
junction between Grosvenor Road and Nightingale Lane. It was formed
as Wanstead Congregational Church in 1864, the first permanent
nonconformist place of worship here, and the site was a gift. The
church building was originally that of St Luke's Church Euston Road,
but with the building of St Pancras Railway Station, it had to be
either demolished or removed.
St Luke's was bought and re-erected on the present
site. It is built in stone rubble with freestone dressings, but the
rebuilt nave was shortened by one bay, only part of the chancel was
rebuilt, and the nave clerestory and the north door were omitted. The
church was opened in 1867, originating from Woodford Congregational
Church in George Lane, Woodford. In 1972 the church became a United
Reformed Church and now forms a joint pastorate with Gants Hill Church.
Hermon Hill Methodist Church is on the
eastern side of Hermon Hill, in the Snaresbrook district of
Wanstead. It started out as a Wesleyan Methodist church in 1869,
when a small building was erected on the site. The present church
was built in 1877, and it was enlarged in 1882 and 1886. In the
early years Hermon Hill's membership was small and after 1900 it was
outstripped by that of Woodford, but after the Second World War it
increased to over 250.
Wanstead Baptist Church is on the eastern
side of Wellington Road, one street to the east of Hermon Hill. It
originated in 1889, when William Coverley held services in the open
air in Cowley Road, and later in a dilapidated carpenter's shop.
With help, he raised money to buy this site and erected an iron hall
there. A church of sixteen members was formed in 1894. In 1904 a
schoolroom, vestry, baptistery, and kitchen were added, and further
extensions were made in 1930.