Grace Church Goodmayes is situated on the
northern side of Ashgrove Road, near the main road. While the
church advertises itself as a lively, informal church, the building
itself and the rough car park outside it looks less inspiring. It
must have been close to the now-lost Goodmayes Presbyterian Church,
which was somewhere on Goodmayes Road. That was formed in 1905 in
an iron building. A permanent church was erected in 1912 but was
demolished, probably after 1972.
The Roman Catholic Church of St Cedd sits
on the northern side of the High Road in Goodmayes, a little to the
west of Goodmayes Road, on the corner with Blythswood Road. The Catholic
parish was formed in 1966 by purchasing the former Goodmayes and Seven
Kings Wesleyan Methodist Church. This opened in 1902 as an iron church,
replaced by the present building in 1904. Between 1923-1966 it was demoted
to serve as a church hall before being sold.
The Parish Church and Community Centre of St Paul
Goodmayes lies on the north-west corner of Barley Lane and Atholl Road.
Initially, this area was part of the parish of St Mary Ilford and then,
from 1895, St Chad Chadwell Heath, but it was still growing rapidly.
Makeshift services were being held 'Chadwell Board School' but a new church
was clearly needed. The present site was purchased in 1901 and building work
on the Lady Chapel was completed in 1903.
Services were held in the Lady Chapel while work on the
nave and side aisles continued. This was completed towards the end of 1915.
The church remained a chapel of ease to St Chad until 1917, when it gained
its own parish. The building is in the Perpendicular style, in red brick
with stone dressing, with an aisled and clerestoried nave, west baptistery,
chancel, organ chamber, and two south porches. The building was completed
by a further addition in 1929.
Oasis Church occupies the fairly large premises
of Oasis House, on the eastern side of Essex Road, which is a short stub
road leading south from the High Road in Goodmayes to a mixture of surviving
Victorian terraced houses and new housing next to the railway. The church,
which may have served other uses in the past, is a fully independent body on
the western edge of Chadwell Heath, not governed by any other organisation.
It also runs a homeless unit.
Goodmayes Methodist Church occupies the southern side
of Percy Road between Wellwood and Eastwood roads. It began as a Wesleyan church
with open-air services led by Arthur Tatchell, who was later a medical missionary
in China. In 1900 an iron building was erected in nearby Blythswood Road, and in
1904 the permanent church was built, with a choir vestry being added in 1927. The
current building appears to be a late-twentieth century replacement of it.
Goodmayes Hospital Chapel of St Mary
formerly stood at the spot pictured (in 2004), immediately south of
the central hospital buildings on the western side of Barley Road.
The hospital was founded as Ilford Asylum in 1898, opening in 1901,
which is probably when the chapel was also opened. Under the NHS,
the hospital became known as Goodmayes, but no images of the chapel
can be found. It was later demolished and the site subsequently used
as a grassed car park.
Seven Kings United Free Church (Baptist & United
Reformed) is on the southern side of Meads Lane, between Norfolk and
Elgin roads. Its roots as Seven Kings Congregational Church go back
to 1653. The church was opened in 1902. A hall was added in 1907 and a new
church built in 1936. In 1972 it became United Reformed. In 1982 the members
of Seven Kings Baptist Church abandoned their old building and merged to
form the current United Free church.
St John the Evangelist is on the north-west
corner of Aldborough Road and St John's Road in the area of Newbury Park,
which is immediately south of the busy Eastern Avenue thoroughfare. Local
Anglican services for the district were started in the Central Hall, Seven
Kings, in the parish of St Mary Ilford in 1900, as the distance to the
parish church and the growing number of parishioners in the area made it
impractical for them all to visit St Mary's itself.
Construction of the new church on the present site
swiftly followed, so much so that the completed building could be dedicated
in 1903. Just one year later a new parish was created out of part of St
Mary's district. The church is a large building of brown stock brick with
red brick dressings, designed in the Perpendicular style by J E K and J P
Cutts. It has an aisled and clerestoried nave, a chancel flanked by chapels,
and a bell cote at the end of the nave.
One photo on this page kindly contributed by County