Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of South-East London
by Peter Kessler, 2 February 2009.
Updated 22 July 2019
Southwark Part 1: Churches of Bermondsey & East Dulwich
St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey is on the
eastern side of Bermondsey Street, midway between Abbey Street
to the south and Newham's Row to the north. It originally formed
part of Bermondsey Abbey which was founded in the eighth
century and was attached to Cluny Abbey in France. A new building
was in use in 1089. While the oldest part of the present building
is the tower, parts of which date from around 1290, most of the
building dates from around 1680.
St John the Evangelist East Dulwich is a
Victorian Gothic church which lies on the north-western corner of
East Dulwich Road and Adys Road, on the northern side of the common.
This area on the border between Dulwich and Peckham was built up from
fields in the mid-nineteenth century, largely due to the coming of the
railways, which made it ideal commuter territory. The church was
completed in 1865 to a design by architect Charles Barry, nephew of
the local landowner.
It replaced an earlier chapel in East Dulwich
which had been erected by the landowner in 1826 on Lordship Lane,
which lies immediately south of East Dulwich Road. St John's was
badly damaged by bombing in 1940, and remained out of use until
it was rededicated by the bishop of Southwark in 1951. The original
spire shown here was replaced by a new red tile spire in the same
style in 2005, and an extension was added in 1996 which is now a