History Files History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of South-West London

by Peter Kessler, 7 October 2020

Richmond Part 1: Churches of Barnes & Hampton

Parish Church of St Mary, Barnes, Richmond-on-Thames, London

The Parish Church of St Mary, Barnes in Richmond-on-Thames, is on the north side of Church Road, opposite the Bracken Gardens turning. This postcard of it dates to about 1910. The church started as a small chapel between 1100-1150, enlarged in both directions in the 1200s. The brick-built west tower arrived around 1485, and then the north wall was demolished in 1786 to make way for a north aisle. A major enlargement in 1906 produced the current building.

St Mary's Parish Church, Hampton, Richmond-on-Thames, London

St Mary's Parish Church, Hampton, is on the northern side of Thames Street, precisely midway between the High Street and Church Street. The site is said to have been that of a Romano-British chapel. Historical records begin in 1342, perhaps when the site came into the possession of the Priory of Takely in Essex and a stone structure replaced a possible wooden chapel. A new tower was built in 1671, and the present structure replaced that in 1830-1831.

All photos on this page kindly contributed by Clive Bowd and Karen White via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group. Additional information by Clive Bowd and Karen White.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.