All Saints Church, Upper Poppleton, is at
The Green, on the western side of Hodgson Lane, midway between the
Station Road and Beech Grove junctions. The first building here was
a chapel of ease built by the Normans and known as the Chapel of
All Hallows. The village was in the possession of St Mary's Abbey
in York, given by Osbern de Arches in the late eleventh century, and
was the scene of the murder of the mayor of York, during the reign
of Richard II.
The old Norman chapel was demolished in 1890 to make
way for the present, two cell church of All Saints, which retained a few
thirteenth century fragments. The new church was designed by Charles
Hodgson Fowler of Durham. It consists of coursed dressed stone with ashlar
dressings and plain tile roofs, and a small, square west tower. During
1959-1972 the building underwent alterations by G G Pace. The wooden pews
from the original Victorian build survive.
Upper Poppleton Methodist Church stands behind
a small green on the western side of Hodgson Lane, opposite Station Road
in Upper Poppleton. The first building on this site was put up in 1817.
Apparently this was very quickly found to be unsuitable (for reasons
unknown) and was replaced in 1819. This too was replaced, by the present
building, and although the date is unknown, it was probably towards the
end of the nineteenth century or the start of the twentieth.
St Everilda's Church, Nether Poppleton, is
located at the far eastern end of Church Lane, about a hundred and
fifty metres (yards) west of the railway line. The name of the village
is derived from the gravel bed upon which the village was built, and is
formed from the Old English words 'popel' (pebble) and 'tun' (hamlet,
or farm). The church is one of only two dedicated to the seventh century
Saxon saint, which suggests that it was founded about that time or soon
The Saxon church was probably wooden, and nothing of
it has survived. The present stone church dates from the eleventh century,
while the stained glass in the eastern window is of the late thirteenth
century and early fourteenth century. There are some monumental effigies
in the church to members of Archbishop Hutton's family, some of whom resided
in Poppleton. Until 1996 the parish was part of the Harrogate district of the
North Riding of Yorkshire.
The Church of St Giles, Skelton, sits on the
north-east corner of Church Lane and The Green at the heart of this small
village. The church was founded as All Saints in 1247, and was also
known as Little St Peter's, thanks to a local legend (probably correct)
which stated that it was built from leftover stone from the construction of
York Minster. The church was restored between 1810-1818 by Henry Graham, and
underwent further work in 1863 by Ewan Christian.
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.