St James' Church, Murton, is on the southern
side of Murton Way, one third of the way eastwards from Murton Garth to
Murton Lane, sitting in otherwise open fieldland. Murton is mentioned in
Domesday Book in 1086, and although the origins of the church are unknown,
it has been suggested that some of the masonry and the south doorway date
to about 1200. It retained the status of a chapel of ease to St Thomas
Church, Osbaldwick, and holds just fifty-four people.
Few alterations appear to have been made during its
long life, and few facts exist on its history. In 1834 a violent storm
damaged the roof, rendering the church unfit for use. There was a
long-running dispute over who was responsible for repair, with the result
that the church remained a ruin for the rest of the 1800s. For some of
this time it served as a pig sty. The vicar and others raised funds in
1912-1914 and the church was rededicated on 9 November 1914.
The Church of the Holy Trinity, Holtby, lies
on the eastern side of Holtby Lane, just south of Church Rise. The parish
of Holtby is separated from the East Riding by the York and Bridlington
road, the 'king's highway' on which its inhabitants were accused of
encroaching in 1275. The earliest mention of a church here seems to occur
in the charter of Henry II. It belonged to Durham Priory and followed the
descent of the priory manor until 1600, surviving the Dissolution.
Little is recorded of the old church, and it was
swept away in 1792 when a new building was erected on the site. This
was restored in 1841, but was practically rebuilt in 1881 by J R
Naylor of Derby. The present church is a small building of red brick
with stone dressings, consisting of a chancel, nave and west tower.
The style is Norman, and the chancel has a Norman-style arch and an
eastern apse. The tower contains two bells which are only
approachable by ladder.
St Nicholas, Dunnington, is on the southern side
of Church Street, where it meets The Copper Beeches. Although it existed
before its first mention, probably by the eleventh century, nothing is
recorded until 1220. Built of freestone and rubble, it consists of a nave,
aisles, and chancel. The tower was repaired in 1717, and the church was
enlarged in 1840. There is no medieval reference to a chapel at nearby
Grimston, but Chapel Garth there was mentioned in 1606.
Dunnington Methodist Church is on the western side
of Common Road, about forty metres (yards) north of Water Lane. There were
seven dissenters here in 1676. A house was registered for Quakers in 1748,
and another for Methodists in 1765. The chapel was founded by Wesleyans in
1805 in York Street, replaced by the present chapel in 1868 and eventually
demolished. The Primitive Methodists built a chapel in 1852. It existed in
1908, but in 1972 was a storehouse.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.