The History Files is able to keep on doing what it does
thanks to some wonderful people who have helped to cover increasing web hosting
costs. This year, as the History Files is a non-profit site, it still needs your
help. Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal
so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully
secure site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running
costs in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2020: £0£250
Gallery: Churches of East Yorkshire
by Peter Kessler, 6 February 2011
City of Kingston upon Hull Part 1: Churches
of Central Hull
Holy Trinity Church stands on the western side
of Market Place in the city of Kingston upon Hull, flanked by North and
South Church Side streets. It is one of the three largest parochial
churches in England. A chapel existed on this site prior to 1204, but this
was destroyed following a dispute over its ownership. A replacement chapel
was founded by one James Helwood in 1258. A churchyard was licensed for it
in 1301, but the chapel was in a ruinous state by 1537.
The building remained a chapel of ease to All Saints
Hessle until 1661, when an act of Parliament divided them and gave Holy
Trinity its own parish in the centre of Hull. The oldest parts are the
late 1200s brick transepts, when general rebuilding began on the site.
The chancel was erected between 1320-1370 with an arcade of five bays.
The nave was built over three or more decades up until about 1430. The
three stage tower was completed about 1520-1529.
The centre of Hull was home to other parochial churches
since lost, including St Stephen, St Stephen's Square, consecrated
1845, demolished 1955; St Luke, St Luke Street, consecrated 1862,
demolished post-war; St Barnabas, on the corner of Hessle Road and
Boulevard, consecrated 1874, demolished after 1970; St Jude, Spring
Bank, consecrated 1874, demolished after 1970; and St Thomas, Campbell
Street, opened 1873, demolished post-war.
St John the Evangelist Church Drypool stood near
the north-west corner of the Prince's Dock, close to the Wilberforce Monument.
This plain, red brick church was the first to be erected in Hull after the
town grew beyond its old city walls. It was consecrated in 1791 and opened
in 1792 as a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity. It gained its own district in
1868, but closed in 1917 and was demolished when the parish was combined with
Holy Trinity. Ferens Art Gallery now stands on the site.
Mariner's Church stood on Prince's Dock Street.
The church is said to have been the first mariners' church established in
England. A dissenting chapel was opened here in 1828 to serve mariners,
but was found to be too small. The church shown here was its replacement,
opened in 1834, with a neat brick front built in the Early English style.
It consisted of a nave, with galleries all round, and contained sittings
set apart for sailors and fishermen. Its date of demolition is unknown.
The Swedoborgian Chapel Dagger Lane stands on
the eastern side of Dagger Lane, midway between Prince Street and Robinson
Row. A chapel was built here in 1698 by Independents, and it thrived until
1767 when Blanket Row Chapel was opened as a replacement. The
Swedoborgians gained it in 1783 and greatly enlarged it before moving to
Spring Bank in 1875. It was later a synagogue, but in 1964 it was a
warehouse, and by 2008 it had been converted into flats.
Five photos and prints on this page kindly contributed
by Colin Hinson, and one by Woodytyke via the 'History Files:
Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group. Prints from A Picture of Hull by John Greenwood,