The Seaman's Mission stands at the
south-east corner of Posterngate and Dagger Lane. It was built
in 1886, at the expense of C H Wilson MP, and was situated directly
opposite the Board of Trade Offices, 'where [sailors] most do
congregate,' in order to be paid off and signed onto ships. Closed at
an unknown date, the building became a pub called The Mission in 1995
which retained the deconsecrated chapel, stained glass windows and
St James Church (in the Potteries) adjoined
St James Square, on the eastern side of St James Street, near the Hessle
Road. The church was consecrated in 1831 (although services had been held
in a school since 1819). It was built in white brick in the Early English
style, with five two-light windows on each side. St James gained a District
Chapelry in 1874, but was demolished in 1957 and the parish combined with
that of Holy Trinity. The site is now a public garden.
Salem Chapel stood on Cogan Street. Formed in
1832 by ten Congregationalists from Fish Street Chapel (or Nile
Street, as stated elsewhere, used in 1782-1898), the chapel was built
in 1833. In 1841, further members of Fish Street formed Albion
Church. The Congregationalists left Salem Chapel in 1914 and it was taken
as a Synagogue to replace School Street Synagogue. It was replaced by
West Parade Synagogue in 1940 after being destroyed in the war.
St Nicholas Danish Lutheran Church is on the
north-west corner of Ferensway and Osborne Street. It was consecrated in
1871, replacing the Bethesda Congregational Chapel which was used
in 1850-1851. The original Gothic building of this Scandinavian Church
was of red brick, with a nave with an apsidal chancel, and tower with belfry
and spirelet. The building was destroyed by bombing and the present church
built on the other side of the street in 1955.
The Church of the Holy Apostles is on the
eastern side of Walker Street, opposite the entrance to the Children's
Centre. The church was dedicated in 1960 as a chapel of ease to Holy
Trinity, replacing the former parish churches of St James (above),
St Luke and St Thomas. It contains a number of fittings and memorials
from these churches and was partly financed by money deriving from the
compulsory purchase of St Luke's and from war damage compensation.
The Port of St Victor is on the western side
of Walker Street, overlooking St Luke's Street across the green.
Walker Street Methodist Chapel was used hereabouts in 1882-1930
before becoming the Zion Calvinist Chapel of Congregationalists.
St Victor may be on the same site, but it is not certain. The Plymouth
Brethren, Catholic Apostolics, Christian Pioneers, Peculiar Baptists,
and United Christian Bands all worshipped in temporary premises in the
Western Synagogue lies on the western side
of Convent Lane, midway along. The Sisters of Mercy Convent was
founded in 1857 on Anlaby Road, near the end of Convent Lane, and was
rebuilt about 1870. It moved to a new building in Southcoates Lane in
1931. The synagogue was founded further down the street in 1902, built
by BS Jacobs in red brick with terracotta dressings and slate roof. It
is not known when it was surrendered and the congregation moved elsewhere.
Friends Meeting House (Quakers) is on the western
side of Bean Street, opposite Thorn Leigh. Quakers have been present in the
city since the 1670s, initially meeting in private homes before gaining a
meeting house in Lowgate after the Toleration Act of 1689. Various locations
have been used since then, and most recently the members of Percy Street
meeting room have moved to these former Probation Service Office in Bean
Street, starting from 2007.
Holiness Church stands on the eastern side of
Coltman Street, one building south of Beech Close. It was founded as
Coltman Street Wesleyan Chapel in 1872, the only example in Hull
of a purely Gothic Wesleyan chapel, consisting of nave, and north and
south transepts. In 1916 the current Wesleyan Methodist chapel replaced
the large, set-back property, but the Methodists have since left and the
building now seems to be used as the premises of a tyre company.
Hessle Road Primitive Methodist Chapel
stands on the south-west corner of Hessle Road and Madeley Street.
The building was designed by William Freeman in white brick with stone
dressings and built in 1880-1881, the most costly Primitive chapel in the
city. It closed in 1933 and was taken over in 1934 by the Elim Pentecostal
Church who renamed it City Temple, then closed again in 1984
when the City Temple moved to the Church on the Way. It is now in poor shape.
Eight photos and prints on this page kindly
contributed by Colin
Hinson, and one by John Hall. Prints from A Picture of Hull by
John Greenwood, 1835.