St Mary Sculcoates (New Church) is on the
southern side of Sculcoates Lane in Hull, with a disused railway line
on its eastern flank and Folkestone Road about forty metres (yards) to
the west. The church was opened in 1916 on a new site, replacing St Mary
Sculcoates (Old Church). Designed by T L Moore, it is a brick building
consisting of a nave with aisles, a chancel, and a north chapel which
incorporates pillars and fittings from the old church. The south aisle
St Vincent de Paul Catholic Church is on
the northern side of Queens Road, about seventy metres (yards) east
of the junction with Prince's Road. The Sisters of Charity of St Vincent
de Paul, who had been in Hull since the 1870s, opened a chapel in Queen's
Road in 1903. The present Romanesque church was added to the site in
1932-1933 with the work being handled by the architects Williams and Jopling
of Hull. It is built in brick with brick dressings and pantiled roofs.
George Lamb Memorial Chapel occupies a prominent
site on the northern side of Lambert Street, opposite Prince's Road in the
Newland district of Hull. Willow Grove on this site was replaced in 1888 by
a school room which itself was replaced by the chapel, built by the Primitive
Methodists and sometimes known more simply as Lamb Memorial Chapel. It was
designed by Thompson and Gelder in a Renaissance style to seat 850, and cost
£6,000 to construct.
Hull Vineyard Church is on the western side of
Beverley Road, about forty metres north of Alexandra Road. The building
appears to have begun as the Zion Methodist Chapel in
1906-1925. The Salvation Army took it over in 1941-1952, before
moving to St Paul Street. The Army also registered Central Corps Hall
in the street in 1963. Vinyard church was founded in 1993. Brunswick
Christian Spiritualist Church met in different sites along the street
Newland United Reformed Church occupies a site
on the south-east corner of Beverley Road and Brooklyn Street in Newland.
Also known as Newland Church, in 1903 it replaced Hope Street Congregational
Church (in use from 1797). A temporary building stood here until the church
opened in 1906. It was designed by Moulds and Porritt of Bury, Manchester, and
London in a simplified Gothic style, and built in red and yellow brick with
The Parish Church of St John Newland stands hidden
behind a large clump of trees on the northern side of Clough Road, opposite
Grove House View in the Newland district of Hull. The church was consecrated
in 1833 and it gained a Consolidated Chapelry from the ancient parish of Cottingham
and its mother church of St Mary in 1862. The patron is the bishop of Chester.
The church contains the old font from St Mary the Virgin in Hull which has
since been recut.
The original building of St John's Church was rectangular
in shape, built in white brick, in the style of the twelfth century, and
designed by William Hutchinson. In 1893 a chancel and vestries were added,
and in 1902 the nave was extended to the west (the low block on the lefthand
side of the previous photo) and a north aisle added. The architects for each
of these alterations were Smith and Brodrick, and the effect was to turn the
building into a version of sixteenth century Gothic.
Trinity Methodist Church stands on the south-west
corner of Cottingham Road and Newland Avenue. The Wesleyans opened Newland
Chapel in 1858 on the opposite side of the road after meetings had been
held in a barn. It was designed by W Botterill in the Gothic style, enlarged
in 1867 and 1873, but replaced by the present building in 1928, designed by
Gelder and Kitchen. The old building was used by the Port of Hull Society
until it was demolished in 1966.
Our Lady of Lourdes & St Peter Chanel Catholic
Church stands fairly anonymously on the southern side of Cottingham Road,
opposite Cranbrook Avenue in Newland. A temporary Church of Our Lady was
erected here by the Marist Fathers in 1925 and replaced by the present church
in 1957, with the work being handled by architect John Houghton. Known locally
as the Marist Church, it is close to the University and a few doors
along from the Catholic Chaplaincy.
Cottingham Road Baptist Church occupies a plot at
the north-west corner of Chanterlands Avenue North and Barrington Avenue in
the Newland district of Hull. A school chapel was registered on the site in
1927. The date at which the church itself was opened is not known, but it
would seem to have been not long afterwards, probably in the early 1930s. It
provides 300 sittings and was designed by W F Wills of Skegness who also
designed part of Skegness seafront.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.