East Park Baptist Church occupies a plot on
the southern side of Holderness Road, midway between Southcoates Avenue
and Lodge Street in the Summergang district to the east of central Hull.
Its date of foundation is not known. Elsewhere on the long Holderness
Road there was also Hedon Road Seamen's Bethel, registered by the
Mariners' Friend Society in 1895-1903, when it was replaced by Holderness
Road Seamen's Bethel (1903 to at least 1939).
Also on Holderness Road was the Pentecostal
Mission in 1908-10, replaced by the Gospel Mission Room
in 1910-11, renamed Hull City Mission Room in 1911-20. The
Jehovah's Witnesses had halls in 1916-19, 1940-41, 1941-46,
and 1958. The Christian Assembly Hall was used in 1926-30.
The Spiritualist Temple of Truth was used in 1933-39 and
1947. The Holiness Meeting Room was used in 1936-54 and the
Salvation Army Holderness Road in 1942-54.
Portobello Methodist Church is a modest
red brick building on the southern side of Holderness Road, opposite
Hurley Close in the Sutton Ings district of eastern Hull, moving in
the direction of the River Humber from Summergang. The church was
built by the Primitive Methodists in 1906, with 610 sittings. It was
designed by Gelder and Kitchen, and was built at a cost of £4,500.
Unlike a great many Primitive Methodist churches, it survived the
Methodist union in 1932.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints is on the northern side of Holderness Road, just east of
Hurley Close in Sutton Ings. After meeting in existing premises,
certainly by 1870-1872 when they were noted by the Imperial Gazetteer
of England and Wales, the Latter-Day Saints built their own church here
in 1934. This building was subsequently replaced by the present
well-regarded one in 1956. By 2010 there was another meeting on
Kingston Wesley Methodist Church & Community
Centre is on the southern side of Holderness Road, opposite Ellesmere
Avenue in Sutton Ings. The first Kingston Chapel was in Witham,
on the eastern edge of central Hull. Founded in 1841, it was the largest
Methodist chapel in the town. It was demolished about 1912 with some
fittings being moved to the present chapel in Sutton Ings, which was
registered in 1913 and renamed Kingston Wesley after the lost chapel.
St Michael & All Angels Sutton Ings is
at the south-west corner of Holderness Road and Marfleet Lane. A
temporary church was dedicated in 1913. The present church was
consecrated, gaining a district from the parishes of Drypool and
Sutton. Also in the district was St Saviour Stoneferry Road.
A temporary building opened in 1898 and the permanent church was
consecrated in 1903. The parish was combined with St Mark in 1957 and
the church demolished in 1981.
St Philip Bilton Grange sits inside of
the junction between Amethyst Road and Barham Road on the Bilton
Grange Estate in Marfleet. It was dedicated in 1952 as a
chapel-of-ease after Hull's boundaries were extended to include all
of the estate. It was built partially with funds from the war-damaged
church of St Philip Sculcoates (see links) while also inheriting its
dedication. It was designed by H R Spencer, and contains some of the
furnishings and plate from the old church.
St Bede's Catholic Church Bilton Grange
stands inside the junction of Staveley Road and Hopewell Road. The
church was registered in 1953. Recusancy seems to have been weak in
Hull in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries, apparently
confined to a handful of merchant families, but following the opening
of St Charles Borromeo in 1829 three more churches were subsequently
built in the late nineteenth century, and a further ten in the
St George Marfleet stands well back from
the eastern side of Marfleet Lane, just below the junction with
Staverley Road in Marfleet, part of the Sutton Trust Estate of Carden
Avenue. This dual-purpose church was dedicated in 1938 as a
chapel-of-ease to Marfleet's parish church of St Giles (see links),
one of three such chapels. By 2010 the church had been declared
redundant, although Sunday services were still being held in an
Preston Road Methodist Church stands at the
north-east corner of Preston Road and Bilton Grove in Marfleet. A church
was registered for this site in 1934, but it seems that may have been a
temporary building. The present church was registered in 1937 and offered
300 sittings. It was designed by Gelder and Kitchen, and was built at a
cost of £5,500. By 2008 it appeared to have been closed down, although
nothing official regarding its fate can be found.