The History Files is able to keep on doing what it does
thanks to some wonderful people who have helped to cover increasing web hosting
costs. This year, as the History Files is a non-profit site, it still needs your
help. Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal
so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully
secure site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running
costs in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
All Saints Parish Church stands on the western
side of the High Street, with Castle Close behind it, in the market town
of Northallerton, the administrative capital of the North Riding of Yorkshire.
The first church on this site probably dated to the seventh century, although
no documentary evidence exists of any building before the present one. That
first, probably wooden, building is said to have been founded by St Paulinus,
first bishop of York (died 644).
The present building dates to the ninth century, and
fragments are occasionally unearthed. The majority of the Perpendicular
church was rebuilt in the 1400s, but the Norman north aisle arcade (of
about 1120) has survived. The south aisle arcade was added about seventy
years later. The tower collapsed in 1318, when Northallerton was sacked
by the Scots. It was replaced by the present tower in 1420. The interior
was extensively refurbished in the late 1800s.
Northallerton Evangelical Church is on the south-east
corner of the High Street and Swain Court. It traces its origins to 1964 when
a small group met in a Bible study meeting. A Sunday morning service was started
in 1965 and the church was formed in November of that year. Early meetings were
held in homes, at a hall in Alverton Lane and, from January 1970, at the Women’s
Institute Hall in Romanby. The official opening of the present building took place
in June 1979.
New Life Baptist Church stands well back from the
eastern side of the High Street, opposite All Saints Church (see above) and
overlooking Tannery Lane. The church was previously at Brompton Chapel, opened
1850. In 1866 they moved to the newly built Wesleyan Chapel (see below).
Northallerton Chapel was purpose-built in 1958, but this eventually proved too
small, so the former Lyric Cinema was purchased in 1997 and opened for services
a year later.
Northallerton (Wesleyan) Methodist Church is
located on the eastern side of the High Street, midway between the parish
church and the East Road roundabout. The building was erected in 1865. The
elegant galleried interior contains communion furniture by Robert Thompson,
the Mouseman of Kilburn, and the meeting rooms house a series of paintings
of Yorkshire abbeys and monasteries by local artist, Daisy Barnes. The church
also possess a fine choir.
Northallerton Cemetery Chapel stands within the
cemetery grounds immediately west of the High Street and All Saints Church
(see above). The building shown here is one of a pair of Victorian red brick
chapels which face one another. They are described as being of no architectural
value but as usual with Victorian buildings they do possess an air of charm.
Both now appear to be used for the storage of grounds maintenance equipment.