Zion Church stands on the leafy eastern side of
Alverton Lane, 110 metres north of Romanby Road in Northallerton. This
independent Congregational church first came into being following open
air gatherings in 1796 at the Market Cross. The first building was opened
in 1818 and dedicated in 1819. The present building was erected in 1858.
It became a United Reformed Church in 1972 when the Presbyterian and
Congregational churches were united.
The Jehovah's Witnesses meeting place stands on the
north-western side of Romanby Road, opposite Weavers Green. The building was
constructed on the north-eastern edge of the former Allerton Industries site,
which has since been demolished. A housing estate was erected on the site, but
the Jehovah's Witnesses building itself may not be much older, as the construction
style appears to date from the 1990s or later.
St James Romanby occupies a plot at the south-west
corner of Ainderby Road and Kirk Road in Romanby, which today is a southern
suburb of Northallerton. The church was consecrated in 1882 to serve the growing
village. It was designed by Charles Hodgson Fowler of Durham, a well-known
Victorian church architect, and consists of a nave without aisles and chancel
in the Perpendicular style. The cupola and spire above the chancel arch house
a single bell.
Romanby Methodist Church is on the
south-east corner of Harewood Lane and The Fairway in Romanby. The
name of this former village is thought to derive from the Danish
name, Hromund, probably during the period in which York was at the
centre of a Scandinavian kingdom. There seems to be absolutely no
information available on the history of this church, although the
architectural style would suggest that a date in the 1950s or 1960s
would be most appropriate.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church stands on the
eastern side of Thirsk Road, opposite Racecourse Lane in Northallerton.
Until 1871, when a school chapel was established, Catholics in Northallerton
had to go to Aiskew or Bedale. The school chapel was dedicated to All
Saints by 1889, perhaps in imitation of the parish church itself. By
1905 the dedication had been changed to its current form and by 1909 it
had its own priest. The present building was opened on 27 June 1934.
Northallerton Chapel lays on the western side of
Valley Road, midway between The Crescent and Central Drive. It was built as
Northallerton Baptist Chapel in 1958, to replace an older building that was
too small. It was also known as Valley Road Church. The chapel
eventually became too small for its growing meetings and was effectively
abandoned in 1993, with New Life Baptist Church being opened instead in 1997.
The old building now houses a playgroup.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.