Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of North Yorkshire
by Peter Kessler & Colin Hinson, 11 September 2011.
Updated 23 February 2012
Hambleton Part 6: Churches of Great Langton
to Great Fencote
Great Langton (Wesleyan) Chapel stands on
the western side of The Square, at the northern end of this street
and the village of Great Langton itself. Little is known about the
chapel, or the Methodist church it housed, but the building was erected in
1877 as a cost of £400 according to Bulmer's of 1890. It was still
in use in 1914, and probably closed by or before the Methodist union
in 1932. It was later converted into a very attractive private dwelling.
The Mission Chapel of the Good Shepherd in Great
Langton is located in a quiet, leafy area at the top end of The Square, not
far from Great Langton Chapel (see above). The chapel was consecrated to
serve Great Langton on 1 January 1877, as an extension of St Wilfred's Church
which lays outside the village. It was later closed and converted into a private
dwelling, but in 2011 it could still be found listed online as a serving chapel,
so perhaps closure was relatively recent.
St Mary's Church, Kirkby Fleetham, occupies land
on the northern flank of Fleetham Hall, both of which lay on the northern
side of Kirkby Lane and the village itself. Originally, there were two
distinct villages here, Kirkby and Fleetham. The former has entirely
disappeared, and the hall and church almost certainly stand in its location.
The original church was in existence by the twelfth century, and elements of
that church still survive in stones in the south doorway.
The present building is almost entirely modern,
destroying most of its previous history. It consists of a chancel,
north vestry, nave, north aisle, and south porch. The rebuilding was
carried out mainly in the fourteenth century style. The massive tower
appears to be one of the few surviving older features, dating mainly
from the fifteenth century. It contains three bells. An effigy of a
knight who is probably the son of the Sir Nicholas Stapleton stands
in the chancel.
St Andrew's Church, Great Fencote, stands at the
north-west corner of the junction between Fleetham Lane and Todd Lane. The
Scropes family in 1546 had a chantry chapel around here which was still in
use in 1576. The present church was built in the style of the thirteenth
century, but exactly when is not known. It consists of a chancel and nave,
north vestry, south porch and a bell cote on the west gable. There is an open
wooden roof throughout the building.
Great Fencote Wesleyan Chapel stands beside
houses on the western side of Fleetham Lane, in the middle of the hamlet
where the street joins a westwards curve towards farm buildings. The chapel
was conveyed by deed on 24 April 1845. Trustees for it were appointed by the
Charity Commissioners in 1893, and the building was certainly still in use in
1914. However, at some point after that the chapel was closed, possibly in 1932,
and converted into a dwelling.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.