Morton-on-Swale Methodist Chapel stands on
the northern side of the Morton-on-Swale A684, midway between the Station
Lane and Rievaulx Drive junctions. A line of red brick houses lies close
to the road to form this small village. At its eastern end a short
lane leads north to Ainderby station on the extension of the North
Eastern railway from Northallerton to Hawes. It is here that the
Wesleyan chapel was founded in 1815. It is the earliest remaining of
two in the village.
Morton-on-Swale United Methodist Free Church
is on a plot on the southern side of the Morton-on-Swale A684, midway
between Back Lane and Green Acres. This small village lies very close
to Ainderby, which is where the parish church is located, and this
chapel is the younger of two here, the other being the Methodist Chapel
(see above). The United Methodist Free Church was founded in 1879.
Following closure it now (2010) serves as Rustic Revival antiques shop.
St Augustine's Church & Village Hall,
Leeming Bar, is on Bedale Road's north side, opposite Milburn Terrace
and close to Leeming Lane. The small, hall-like building is a daughter
of the church of St Gregory Bedale. A stone built into the side wall
reads: 'This stone was laid by Thomas, Fourth Baron Bolton, Grand Warden
of the West Marches, Deputy Grand Master of the Provincial Grand Lodge
of North and East Yorkshire Freemasons, sixth day of June in the year
St John the Baptist, Leeming, stands on the
western side of Roman Road, almost immediately south of the Millfield Close
junction. The church was built in 1839 by Ignatius Bonomi. It is of red brick
with ashlar dressings and consists of a small chancel with a three-light east
window, a north vestry and a nave of four bays in each of which there is a
two-light window. The entrance is by a porch at the west end over which is
an octagonal tower of 1910 containing one bell.
Leeming Methodist Church stands on the eastern
side of Roman Road, about thirty metres (yards) south of the junction with
Newton Crescent. The church was constructed as a Wesleyan chapel in 1808.
It was regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 1893. There
was also a Primitive Methodist Chapel in the village, location unknown,
while a date of 1904 has also been given for the founding of the Methodist
church, which is probably a reconstruction date.
Aiskew Methodist Church lies on the southern side
of the main A684 Leeming Road, about twenty metres (yards) west of The
Crescent. The main street through the village continues over the river to
enter Bedale, making it practically a continuation of the latter. The church
appears to have been built as a Primitive Methodist chapel in 1869, although
little else seems to be known about it. The current building would appear to
be the original, mid-Victorian construction.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.